I had been known as many other things, most notably as a PK ---for those not in the know that is pastor's kid. I really hated the PK label because PKs tend to fall into 2 categories: saintly and wild. People would assume that I was one or the other, but I think I have always been equal doses of the two, so it just served to annoy. Plus it wasn't a label that I had earned, just one I'd come upon through birth.

I dabbled in the arts as a kid. I tried theater, writing, piano, singing, saxophone (it was really bad), crafting, painting, drawing, etc. I just never really sought to define myself. I was just trying things out.

I hadn't been searching for a label, but this one didn't bother me. Quite frankly I felt some happy stirring deep inside when that label became attached to me. Over time I have found several other labels that give me the same feeling: mother, writer, wife, awesome (wink)--but it was that first identifier that really seems to have become a part of the foundation of who I am. I always feel the most like me when I am making art.
When do you feel the most like you?
5 comments:
I'm truly only good at Momma, but I'm ok with that. I love being a momma.
This is a great post :). I feel the most like me when I'm running. But I also love the labels, mother, knitter, painter, wife, sister, and daughter :)
Labels are interesting aren't they. I do wonder which one will take over for me at the moment. We are usually defined by our occupation. So I am usually introduced as teacher/ yoga teacher / Andrew's wife. I wonder whether 'mother' will trump all of these labels?
I want to be a Helper. I feel the best when I hear a relieved sigh from someone who really needed a caring ear, and I've provided that.
AKM/Jackie's mama/sister/secretary/Parrothead/bookworm/daughter/left-hander/karaoke geek...
I think probably mum would describe me. I am creative but not an artist. I am also a student, that describes me well. Not just in terms of going to uni but just of life, I love to learn and experience.
Post a Comment