Saturday, February 4, 2012

Project: Winter Flowers

red flowers

I don't know about you, but this is the time of year when I start to think a lot about flowers and gardens and the smell of wet dirt. Winter still powers on for at least another month or two. So one of my solutions is to buy fresh flowers occasionally. Yesterday I was feeling the need for flowers, but I decided to make them myself. I spent all of five minutes making these, a great craft for kids.

supplies
Supplies

fairy with supplies
Fairy not required

Supplies:
Scissors (if working with little ones you will need to do the cutting)
tissue paper
floral wire
a bit of tape or glue or even a rubber band in a matching color

Directions:

cut
Fold your tissue paper over a few times. I made four layers with mine. Then free hand cut some circles. I suppose you could trace circles, but it really isn't necessary, a little imperfection adds to the finished project.

folded
Now take your stack of circles and fold them over a few times.

folded and unfolded
Unfold them and then wrinkle them up a bit with your hands.

c holding flower
red with stamen
Poke the floral wire through the center and make a little loop at the top. Underneath the flower put your tape, glue or secure a rubber band to keep the petals in place.

white crumpled
Mess it up a bit. I squeezed the paper in my hands and made it look how I wanted.

red flowers
You can bend the stems or leave them straight. Your call.

flowers white
Done deal.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Dude! We totally did these yesterday! Mind you, they looked nothing like actual flowers when we were finished, but we were feeling the same way. Although more because we keep having 70* weeks and I want them back. {Thanks for the tutorial. Maybe now my flowers won't look like blobs.}

Tammie said...

beautiful. and i love the grey vase.

Victoria said...

You are amazing!

Amber said...

When I saw the first picture, I thought you put a pearl in the middle of the poppy. The wire is much simpler. The poppies remind me of my back yard in summer.

On my way Home... said...

Fantastic! The poppies look real!

AKM said...

Those are very lovely! That might be a craft that even I can do. ;-)

Kirsten Taggart said...

FUN! doing this with Leeluu :)

sophie said...

I LOVE these Maria - your styling is so perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...