Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Two for the Price of One

two for the price of one

I am finally starting to look pregnant...at least to myself and those closest to me. To most others I probably look like I have a tiny pot belly---my favorite phase. Acquaintances still aren't comfortable asking me yet and strangers won't dare to ask (unless they are completely reckless) until probably my 7th or 8th month. Truthfully I have still gained less than 5 pounds, but I am proudly sporting the BeBand. I am remembering how, for me at least, pregnancy can be divided into four phases.

Early on pregnancy is this special secret the first phase, shared with only a cherished few. A time of promise and hope that the relative security of the second trimester will quickly arrive. Then there comes the day that the announcement is made. I always find that a bit awkward. I never know how to say, "There's a tiny human growing inside of me..." Generally my delivery of the information involves jazz hands for added flair.

Then there is the second phase, which can last a few months, where pregnancy isn't obvious to one and all, but I always declare it in weird ways. Like when I was at the grocery store and the checkout lady, with whom I am friendly, asked how I was doing and I answered, "Pregnant." What a weird answer to give, but it seemed normal at the time. Generally this period is just about feeling awkward...clothes don't fit, but maternity clothes are still not the right choice. Thankfully baby wiggles make this phase very exciting.

Now I am just starting to put my toes in the water of the third phase, where it becomes obvious to most that I am in fact pregnant, but there really isn't anything to be done with it beyond updates on health and well-being. When I see people starting ponderously at my belly I will give my burgeoning belly a gently pregnancy rub (you know it when you see it) to clue them in. Soon enough people will begin to rub your stomach for you. While this is a little weird at first by the end you don't even notice it, or at least I don't. This will last through the 7th month...when the final phase hits.

The fourth phase of pregnancy is the one where you transform from a human into pregnant human/time bomb. All but the closest of friends are afraid to be alone with a pregnant woman. People just stare and desperately hope you do not go into labor at that moment...it's pretty hilarious. I like to fake labor pains and freak people out.

So, now that I am starting to reveal a bit of a pregnant belly I am looking forward to all of the distractions and fun to come between now and the big reward in July.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Yay! Baby belly! I love pregnancy pics! You look wonderful. You are nice and tall and have room for a glorious babe to grow. I am short and have no waist to speak of, so my pregnancies began to show really early. I was in maternity clothes by 12 weeks with both my girls and Lucas.

Carmen said...

Love seeing a pregnancy photo, and I love the description of the stages lol. Given I'm just shy of 5'4 and most of me is leg (32") there is nowhere for my babes to go but out. I wish I was able to hide mine for a little longer :). You look fantastic :)

Bettina said...

Haha love this description of the four stages. I'm currently the pregnant human time bomb who can't wait to "go off"!

Kirsten Taggart said...

You look so cute :)
I didn't gain very much weight with my third baby. It was great, I was back to my regular size in two weeks. Now I am even smaller then my pre pregnancy...breastfeeding it is AWESOME!!

Maria Rose said...

Kristen I gained 18lbs with Cordelia and the doctor was more than pleased with that. I was struggling to keep weight on while nursing---it was awesome to eat like 14 year old boy and I look forward to round 2.

Jennifer said...

You're looking great!

Victoria said...

You look awesomely beautiful.

Sarah said...

Love your descriptions, so true! I'm currently in the can't really walk or breathe beached whale stage, with less than a week to go, eek!!

On my way Home... said...

I love this post! It is so true. And you look fantastic!

singlemama said...

I love that picture!!! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...