Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Spinach Enchiladas

What, two recipes in two days...how did this happen?

Have you heard the term "to veganize"? The idea is to take a non-vegan recipe and mess around with it until you have created a vegan version. For my wedding I received an amazing gift of family recipes and I have worked to veganize them all over the years. I think many vegans start this process in an attempt to create a vegan version of a memorable comfort food from their non-vegan past.

Most vegans who cook learn this skill early on. The whole process has become much easier with the popularity of vegan items that are really high quality (ex. vegan cheese that melts, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.). I love to cook so I often tear out recipes from magazines or check out non-vegan cookbooks for ideas and inspiration. Today I am veganizing a recipe from the January issue of Real Simple magazine. When I made this Eric came to me after dinner as I was washing up and said, "Thank you for making such good food." That's good enough for me! I hope you like it too.

Dinner

Ingredients
  • 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1 c. frozen corn, thawed
  • 3/4 c. vegan sour cream (divided into 1/4 and 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4 c. vegan cream cheese
  • 2- 4 oz. cans of chopped green chiles
  • 1 c. shredded vegan cheese, divided in half (I use Daiya)
  • 10 6- in. corn tortillas, warmed
For the slaw
  • 1/2 small cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 c. pepitas
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • juice of fresh lime
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. In a medium bowl combine the spinach, corn, 1/4 c. vegan sour cream, 1/2 c. of the vegan shredded cheese. In a separate bowl combine the green chiles, 1/2 c. vegan sour cream and 1/4 c. cream cheese, mix well.

spooning it in

Take the warmed tortillas and spoon the spinach and corn mixture (divided evenly between the 10 tortillas), roll and leave seam side down in a baking dish. Once all of the tortillas are rolled spoon the green chile mixture over the top, smothering the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining vegan cheese over the top (you could add more if you're in the mood).

Daiya on top

Sprinkling the vegan cheese is a great job for busy toddler hands.

Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Meanwhile to make the accompanying slaw toss the cabbage and scallions with the oil and juice of one lime. Add the pepitas and salt and pepper to taste (not much). Serve with the enchiladas. I also enjoyed a side of re-fried beans, added a good balance.

done deal Dinner is served!

7 comments:

luminousvegans@wordpress said...

This looks so good! I love the little helper hands too :)

Roxanne said...

Love these, a good comfort food it is!

sara said...

those look awesome! good job with the cheese, cordelia :)

Kate said...

I've veganized, vegetarianized, non-glutenized, and non-peanutized. I don't even know how to properly read a recipe anymore. All I see is : That could be switched with.... {and} I could do That instead.

Kirsten Taggart said...

I really love anything wrapped in a tortilla. With all that vegan cheese...holy cow, totally making this.

AKM said...

I love the little hands sprinkling on the Daiya.

Mina said...

Oh wow, I've just eaten and I'm hungry again. Why, oh why, can't we get Daiya in England!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...