Friday, February 24, 2012

From My Vegan Kitchen and Recipe

I used to be one of those people who stopped by the grocery store every single day, choosing what I wanted to eat based upon my mood, taste and the time I had available to cook. Now, things are different. I have a toddler who has quite suddenly returned to good eating habits and she is eating a lot. Additionally I just don't have the time or energy to devote to daily shopping. I also don't live half a block from Whole Foods anymore; I think their nearest location would be a four hour drive.

teh list

So I have adapted the practice of writing up a weekly meal plan. I even made printable meal plan and grocery list sheets for myself. I really patted myself on the back the day that I made the printables. Anyway, I now try to keep it all organized and plan out meals for the entire week and do one shopping excursion. Of course I inevitably have to make a follow up when we run out of something or other, but my daily trips to the grocery store are a thing of the past.

With all of the time saved you'd think I was rarely in the kitchen (ha ha), but our family spends a lot of time in the kitchen area, talking, working, preparing food and of course eating. Much like most families the kitchen is truly the center of our home. Here is a look into our kitchen...

blueberry cake
Blueberry cake, recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking

bite
Eating cake

cabbage rolls
Cabbage Rolls

kitchen floor
Someone is always rolling around the floor in the kitchen, more often than not it is this girl.

orange slices
Snack of orange slices

swiss chard
Swiss Chard, for dinner tonight

dinner
Penne with Roasted Red Peppers and Almonds, dinner last night

Recipe for Penne with Roasted Red peppers and Almonds
Ingredients
  • 12 oz. penne, cooked and drained
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped almonds
  • 2 tsp. dried thyme (you could absolutely use fresh thyme, but the stuff at the store was looking gross so I opted for dried)
  • 2 large orange bell peppers (I suppose you could use red as well)
  • 3/4 c. pitted kalamata olives
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

While the penne is cooking pull out a cookie sheet and turn your oven on to broil. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds, place skin side up under the broiler and cook until they turn black approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool enough that you can handle them.

Meanwhile warm up a skillet, add the oil and the almonds. Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes or so, just toasting the almonds.

While the almonds are toasting use a knife to remove the blackened skin from the roasted peppers. Chop the pepper into bite sized pieces and add to the skillet. Toss in the olives and thyme as well, warm for a moment. Add the penne and toss to coat, if it is dry just add a smidge more oil. Finish off with salt and pepper. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

I remember a comment a while ago from someone who said you had such a clean floor! Now we all know why! Cordelia the floor buffer!
Those cabbage rolls looks yummy.

Victoria said...

I am SO making your penne!! I made a meals chart just like that when I was commuting to NMSU (for three years!)Mike and Sean would help by looking at the week's menu and do the prep work before I arrived home. My chart also had a box for a shopping list for the week, which was very helpful. Sorry you are so far from a good grocery...I feel your pain. I just planted chard!!!

Carmen said...

I have fallen away from meal planning and need to start again. That penne makes me hungry!

luminousvegans said...

Beautiful pics!

Tammie said...

that pasta looks delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...