Monday, March 12, 2012

Adventures in Veganizing: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip CUPCAKES

A few days ago I stumbled upon this recipe from the food blog Food Snots for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and I knew I had to try and veganize the recipe. I made a much more low key version, but the results were so tasty.

Here are the substitutions that I made:

For the Cupcakes:
  • I replaced the butter with vegan margarine at room temp. I used the brand Smart Balance Light with Flax (be careful, this product is vegan, but the brand is not entirely vegan)
  • I used EnerG Egg replacer to substitute for 2 eggs
  • Obviously I used vegan sugars
  • I used Silk Soy milk with Omega 3s in substitution for whole milk
  • I used vegan chocolate chips, don't recall the brand

I found that I had to bake the cupcakes a bit longer than their recipe suggested, but that may have something to do with the altitude here...or something. I am pretending I know why it happened that way when I am no baker.

For the Frosting:

  • I replaced the butter and milk the with the same vegan brands listed above
  • I found that the frosting wasn't quite to my liking so I added about 1/3 of a cup (1 Tbs. at a time) of confectioner's sugar, until I had the flavor I was interested in.
PeanutButter Choc. Chop Cupcakes

I didn't pipe on the frosting, because I had enough dirty dishes at that point, I just spooned it on. The results were really delicious! If you are a fan of the peanut butter and chocolate combo then I recommend that you give this a try!

6 comments:

Kate said...

I've been making my own nut butters {allergies to peanuts + too cheap to buy the cashew butters} and I *love*finding recipes that have noting whatsoever to do with "PB" & Jam {strawberry, 'cause that's ALL I know how to make!
Hello, dessert!

Roxanne said...

Looks yummy and gooey! I could just taste it now! mmmmmmmm

Susan said...

I AM a fan of the peanut butter/chocolate combo and I DID give it a try and I LOVED IT!

Kate said...

Definitely worth the try. Thank you!

luminousvegans@wordpress said...

I am very unsure of myself when I veganize baking recipes and it is nothing short of a miracle when I get something decent. It looks like your experiment was very successful...they look delicious!

Victoria said...

Brava!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...