Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lingering

When Cordelia was newly born Eric and I learned that our meals were to be taken on the fly. Cooked, if possible, and then stuffed down our gullets as quickly as possible before the next spit up or blow out. We tried to eat together in those early weeks, but more often than not our meals were just inconvenient at best. Of course I had made all of those pre-baby prep meals that sat in our freezer. Family brought meals by, but what we hadn't anticipated was just how insane life would be.

When we started feeding Cordelia with us at the table things improved, but our meals were still speedy. We ate bites in between feeding the girl and cleaning up the mess. Not that we were complaining, just noting the different season in our lives.

Now we are onto something entirely different. Cordelia likes to linger....and linger...and linger. Eric and I eat our meals, do the dishes, read, etc. Meanwhile, Cordelia likes to smell her food, play with her food, roll about in her booster seat. Dip her utensils in her drink. Look at the wall behind her. Talk to the dog. Invite us to smell her food. I think you get the gist. I vacillate between trying to control the process which often extends well past the one hour mark and watching it unfold like a science experiment.

I inform her that we aren't enjoying a siesta on the coast, that there isn't a holiday. I try to get her to use her fork and avoid rolling her face on her plate, coating her hair in syrup. However I am loathe to admit a certain, begrudging, admiration of her focused inability to focus. For now the real work is on my part, finding the balance between raising a kid that isn't a totally bizarre person at the table and one that can play with her food a little bit.

Take this morning for instance. When I finally decided to document the process she had managed to eat her pancake, taking time to inspect each piece and make comments like, "I love the germs in my mouth." She had also eaten her orange slices, leaving only tempeh bacon and a bit of soy milk and a whole lot of this....

face rubbing

tongue out

twisting

smiles

drinking

Foot on table

9 comments:

Tammie said...

ha. i love the leg up on the table.

Carmen said...

She sounds so much like Grace lol. Aidan on the other hand lasts two seconds in his chair and is saying he is all done (with either eating nothing, or just one bite ).

Roxanne said...

I am one of those people that takes hours to eat. My mom always told me "to put in the first gear young lady!" I would be the last one to finish supper while everyone else would have eaten supper and dessert, done the dishes, put away the dishes, and I would be still on supper. Needless to say I still don't eat dessert now, I was never that "hungry" for it!

Susan said...

I sure love that little drama eater!

Allen said...

Brings back memories of our 5

Bettina said...

Don't they always tell us to savour our food? Love the little foot on the table!

Kate said...

I used to be the SLOWEST eater ever. Period. now, with 2 babes, I don't even see my food. But somehow, my son is seeking my now-gone title. Sigh. Our daughter, however, seems determined to eat whatever is in front of her in the swiftest amount of time humanly possible. Maybe we'll see a happy medium someday.

AKM said...

HA! Oh, how hilarious that little one is! I hope she never changes.

On my way Home... said...

We are totally at that stage too! He likes to play with his food- today the celery were taking a nap. Hmmm...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...