Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Projects for Introducing the Arts to Kids

Cordelia has heard talk of art and artists her whole life. With two artists/art historians for parents she really had no choice in the matter. Now I don't feel compelled to push this girl to be an artist or anything that she doesn't want to be, but I do want to encourage her to learn in all directions.

Recently Eric and I were picking up sketchbooks for ourselves and on a lark we purchased one for Cordelia as well. I pretty much assumed it would be a passing novelty, but I was wrong. She is drawing all the time. She loves it! We open her book, give her something to draw with and let her go. If you try this I highly recommend that you get titles or descriptions of the work, it's the best part. Cordelia has created pieces entitled, Cow in a Twister, Cat and Germs are Friends, Volcano, Cat in Sunglasses, etc.

sketchbook

Interestingly, when we review the scribbled on pages (of which there are MANY) she will often recall the titles that she gave the works. Boggles the mind.

We have also noticed her making claims such as,"Can I be an artist when I grow up?" Regardless of the direction she takes in the future I think it is our job to foster her creativity in the present. So, when I am working on a project I set her up with her own as well.

Recently I grabbed a small and cheap canvas at the store and let her go to town. Well, first I covered the table in newspaper and set up a good work space for her. I also limited her to acrylic paint and one color of her choice at a time so we wouldn't be dealing with a brown mess.

Set up

Painting

Painting on the wall

When she decided the picture was complete she was incredibly proud of her accomplishment. It now has a good location in our home where she can look at it and feel satisfaction in her own accomplishments.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I love it! What did Cordelia name the painting? I must say, it looks as good as many of the things hanging in art museums. Just saying.

Victoria said...

Not sure you know this, but I taught art at a Montessori school for four years, ages 5-11. I was never in a more creative environment! Also studied K-12 art education/development so have a few books for you to review when I see you. The photo of Cordelia painting is a keeper, so sweet...makes me want to go back to teaching little ones, they are so precious. You are doing all the right things xo

Emily said...

Fostering her creativity is one of the best gifts you can give her! Way to go! I personally like the title, "Cat and Germs Are Friends." That is awesome!

Carmen said...

Love this :)

Susan said...

You are such a good mother. I just can't say that enough.

Maria Rose said...

Thank you!

Rachel said...

We have gone through a few sketchbooks with V. She enjoys bringing hers with her much of the time. I love Cordelia's painting! We will have to do that with V!

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

We want an original Cordelia! :) It can go right next to her mommy's art in our living room! Also, "cats and berms are friends" is by far my favorite.

sara said...

love all the ways you encourage her creativity. the sketchbook is a great idea!

Kate said...

I did a similar painting with H- when he was about that age. It's since been lost to us, but I remember loving the colors. We added pieces of cardboard and foil that were painted over, then peeled off to add texture, b/c I adore a thick painting. I'm hoping to do a few this summer with the babes. Cordelia is such a big personality.

Tamara said...

Children concentrate a lot when they are paiting or drawing!

Cuuuute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...