Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New Mexico

new mexico
New Mexico is the place where I spent my teen years. The place where I got into more trouble than I had any business being in. The place where doors were slammed for teen angst emphasis, later to be quietly opened as I slunk out to apologize for being a teenager. New Mexico was where I was my most wild, raw, self-indulgent (as I think most teenagers are).

New Mexico is also where I met and fell in love with Eric, come to think of it I first met Eric (when I was just 14 years old) 17 years ago next week. New Mexico is where I found myself to be an artist. New Mexico is where I made some lifelong friendships. New Mexico is where my husband grew up, where my in-laws live. Where I had my first job. Where I enjoyed the beauty of the sunsets and the evening air. Where I moved out on my own and started college. Where I married my husband. Where I started to become the woman that I am today.

New Mexico is where we are headed for a visit. This will be Cordelia's first trip to the state. We won't be there long, just a visit for a few days where we will visit Eric's hometown and the place where we both graduated from high school.

When we go back to New Mexico we are both filled with that strange sensation of past meeting present; something that becomes more defined as the years pass. Our primary goal is to visit with Eric's family and to celebrate the retirement of my father-in-law. I am sure that we will visit some old haunts. We are looking to see a few friends and we cannot wait to see our beloved Copelands!

So, we leave our home and animals in the care of my family. I love that my family will stay in our house while we are away. I don't have to worry about our animal family or my plants, so I can just focus on our journey. We plan to drive safe and sanitary. I will be reporting back to you as always, though my posting times may be a bit erratic as I search for time/internet connectivity.

9 comments:

Susan Struck said...

We will miss you but hope you have a lovely trip. As usual, drive safe and sanitary!

affectioknit said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

the mountain fox said...

Hope you have fun and enjoy showing Cordelia your old haunts!

marie93ann said...

Have a safe and happy trip! Sounds like a fantastic place to get a dream tan

Kate W. said...

I've always wondered where you and Eric met! Now I know! Have a wonderful trip -- and I have to ask. I know "drive safe," but what is "drive sanitary?" I'm out of the loop here! LOL!

Emily said...

Have a great trip! Just think, you guys will only be 8 hours away from us instead of 18! :)

Maria Rose said...

Oops I misspoke. Cordelia went to Santa Fe once before, this is her first visit to Alamogordo. Kate---The drive safe and sanitary phrase is a looong and weird family tradition. I think my mom wrote a blog post about it.

Kate said...

Have a beautiful trip!

Lynn (NM Enchantment) said...

Have a fabulous trip! I hope you enjoy New Mexico as much as you did in your teens, but in new ways. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...