Saturday, July 21, 2012

Apples

Last year, when we had just moved into our house, the previous owner told us about the apple tree out front. She said that she hoped we would enjoy the apples. I didn't even think to ask her what type of apples they were; I was just so excited about it.

A few months later I glanced out the window and saw the neighbor kids in our tree. I didn't mind at first. I mean, they're kids and kids are fairly unburdened by property lines and a climb-able tree is a climb-able tree.
So I was acting cool and laid back about the whole thing, watching them with a smile until I noticed that they were throwing all of the apples into the yard before they were fully grown. It was then that I realized the reason there were so few apples growing in the first place....they'd been doing this for a while. I kept my cool and walked outside to ask them to stop. I was careful to not be a scary angry lady. I asked them nicely to please quit picking and throwing the apples. Didn't matter, I freaked them out and they went running. ***In my defense they were kind of weird kids.

apples

Anyway, the kids moved away with their family and a new family moved in next door. Apparently the new neighbor kids don't care about our tree. The result is that my apple tree has hundreds of apples. So now I have no excuse. I need to find out A) What kind of apples they are B) What should I do with all of them?

applessss

Anyone?

9 comments:

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

Well, I'm no expert, but I would say they are green apples. And Pie...pie is ALWAYS a good answer. :)

You could also dry them for the winter, or make some apple jam, or can them. All things my step-mom did while growing up. Ohhh...or even some vegan apple butter...now that might be a challenge for ya. :) Kiss those girls for us!

Maria Rose said...

They might be green apples, but they are still young. Mostly I am just wondering if they are sweet apples or crab apples.

Roxanne said...

They look like crab apples to me too! I used to eat them as a kid until my stomach hurt! Hee Hee

Soley said...

You'll know for sure what kind they are in a couple months. We had an apple tree in our back yard...on good apple years we had lots and lots of dried apple rings (with a little cinnamon/sugar, Yum!) and I made a ton of apple butter. If you didn't spray the tree (which we didn't do) it's likely most of the apples will have wormy holes...thus the rings and butter, you can cut around the holes. Have fun this fall!!

Maria Rose said...

Thanks Soley. We did not spray so thanks for the tips!

Stacy said...

Pie and applesauce... That's my vote!

sophie said...

You're so lucky! I loved stewed apples with a it of cinnamon and brown sugar. Served with yogurt, makes a yum breakfast.

AKM said...

I like to eat a lot of beans, and I need relish with my beans, so I see those apples and I picture apple-onion relish... ;-)

Kirstens Kitchen said...

Apple pie, apple crumble, apple muffins, apple sauce, apple stuffing, apple crisp, apple cake, dried apple rings, apple salad...mmmmmmmmm

Weird kids! hahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...