Monday, July 23, 2012

Living With Animals

I have been living with animals for most of my life. I wouldn't feel normal if there weren't animals in my home. Since I was 8 years old I have had at least one animal living in the house with me at all times, generally there have been more than that.

Currently we are living with two rescued cats (Ophelia and Mia) and our rescued basset (Bumblebee). Of course there are some downsides to living with animals....like waking up at 2am to hear a cat puking somewhere in the house. There is the abundance of pet hair. We have lint rollers at several stations throughout the house and I have to sweep the entire house at least 3 times a week to keep the pet hair under control. Then, of course, each animal has their own personal flaws (Bumblebee nasal whines in the car---it is definitely worse than you are thinking) that we have to deal with.


friends

However, all of the inconveniences aside I think that the joys of sharing a space with animals far outweigh the negatives. Negatives come with any relationship, but not all relationships are nearly as fulfilling as those we share with animals. The cats each have different times of day where they check in with us, requesting some attention, but mostly they are independent old ladies. Bumblebee is our constant, and enthusiastic companion. She and I spend most of our days together. She is a friend to Cordelia and nurse to Elise. Our animals have taught us responsibility and have given us unlimited affection and entertainment. I hope they will also teach our daughters that animals truly are sentient beings.

Do you live with animals? Do you have strong feelings about it?

5 comments:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

that's such a cute pic of your two "kids" at the window!

Carmen said...

Love that photos of Cordelia & Bumblebee :) I have also always had animals in my home. A cocker spaniel, cockatiel, and numerous hamsters growing up. Then a Golden Retriever and Border Collie. When Nate and I married, we bought Clifford, our own Golden. I can't imagine a home without a dog in it :)

Roxanne said...

I love that window picture! We share our space with several animals... a black doberman, a white pom/shit-zu mix, a gray cat,7 different kinds of birds, and two turtles. Pigeons come and visit our balcony sometimes, but they are not "ours"...

sophie said...

I grew up with animals too, dogs, bunnies and guinea pigs. I did enjoy them but I found it also stressful, when they got sick, or passed away, it was too much for me. I haven't wanted pets as an adult because I just couldn't cope with them and kids! That being said I love animals and love visiting my brother's 2 gorgeous enormous dogs.

Kirstens Kitchen said...

We have a dog...with lots of hair!
There is hair in every corner of the house. Nika is her name and we rescued her. She is a good guard dog, and a faithful friend. Dog is just spelt God backwards!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...