Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Move?

I believe that the longest I have ever lived in the same town was from 1989-1995 when my family was living in Harlowton, MT. Otherwise I have never made it to 5 years in any one place. I have lived in various locations in Minnesota, Washington, New Mexico, Montana, Colorado and now Wyoming.

No, my family isn't running from the law although I think I could be an awesome renegade (and I am distantly related to Lorenzo Lamas, the real Renegade). I imagine that perhaps I would live off the grid making bark soup and befriending wild animals...you know a cougar (a mountain lion not a middle aged vixen) as a sidekick. I am not sure what my crime would be, perhaps the crime of cool. I would live outside the law and just as authorities were closing in, around the 4 year mark, I would vanish like a ghost with my family and animal companions in tow.

Recently Eric and I were driving around, two girls sleeping in their car seats, and talking about the fact that we never stay anywhere for more than 4 years. Before I became a factor in his life Eric had been living in the same town for 14 years. Enter yours truly and suddenly Eric was doomed for life as a gypsy and hasn't lived anywhere for longer than 4 years since. When we first arrived here in Wyoming our plan was 2-3 years tops! However, that date seemed much less important as it drew near and passed by, leaving us with another plan...4 years and no longer. We  were discussing the fact that we have been living here in Wyoming for 3 years and 4 months. I think that means we should be looking into a move in the next several months. We should be checking the cost of moving trucks, putting our house on the market and thinking about boxing up and moving...except we aren't.

view of town
View of our town

We are happy here. We have made some great friends. We have good jobs, a beautiful home, and family. We have made ourselves right at home here in this Wyoming town. We see people we know and like all over town. I remember when we first moved here and felt like total outsiders, thinking we'd never fit in as a family of vegan artists. We were wrong! We have totally found our spot here.We anticipate annual events. We participate in community activities. Heck they even had a parade for Elise's birthday---or perhaps her birthday just happened to fall on parade day, whatever.

I don't think we will stay here forever. I can't even fathom such a thing now, but I don't think Eric and I have many more moves left in us. Perhaps one last move to Montana, but that doesn't feel urgent. I do know that I don't want my girls to be gypsies. Don't get me wrong, there is something wonderful about starting over every few years. I think it has made me very comfortable in random social situations and a relatively outgoing person. I do, however,  think another adventure is to see what happens when one makes their life in one place, venturing out to travel and see the world, but always returning home. So I think we are going to break our streak. We are happy to linger here and take what our town has to offer us until it is time to go. For now though I think we are exactly where we are supposed to be.


2 comments:

Susan said...

I am happy that you are happy.

wyowolfpack said...

Wyoming sure has a way of growing on you, doesn't it? Selfishly, I'm glad you guys aren't in a hurry to move.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...