Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Little Things Today

I think it is probably because I am spending a lot more time at home lately, but I keep noticing the little things--the details. For some reason all of those tiny bits and pieces seem to carry more weight lately. Perhaps there is nothing to it, but I am something of a daydreamer (*shh don't tell) at heart and I always can't help but feel like there is a greater significance to all of the little things that I notice. Do you ever feel that way? Like everything was arranged in a certain way just for you to notice and appreciate....maybe it is just unbridled narcissism, but let's pretend it isn't and just review my list of little things.

I am gonna bullet point this list because I love a good bullet point.

apples
Apples fresh picked from our yard
  • Eric gathered the apples from our tree out front. The apples happen to be sweet with just a hint of tart and sooo good.  There is something so amazing about eating the food that grew on your land with your own hands. OK so we did little to earn these apples beyond watering the lawn and gathering them, but still.
  • Cordelia has resumed her afternoon napping for now and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have two sleeping beauties so I can get stuff done. A nap is just an hour, but you have no idea how much I can pack into an hour. I have even tried to do nothing with some success...as long as you count crocheting while watching Netflix nothing.
  • We have gotten rid of all of our excess art. The art has gone to the homes of friends, family and patrons! For most of last week the living room was buried in art, but now it is clear. We have a little organization of supplies yet, but our art collection is finally under control. Wooo!
 canner
Pressure canner and other canning supplies
  • I was looking out the window wondering how I was going to buy all of the stuff needed for canning when we have a lot of pricier priorities when some dear friends showed up with everything I was missing to start my own canning operation. Seriously, it was weird how well it was timed and how it seemed as though they had read my mind.
  • Waking up this morning I was wishing I had 1 more hour to sleep as Cordelia climbed into bed and began to chatter away (let me tell you this girl is a chatterbox) and at the same time Elise started to fuss. Then I made eye contact with Eric, we both just smiled knowing that we were on the same page. A bit tired, but ready to deal with all of the nonsense and joy that come with parenthood. We each took a girl and started our day as a team.
flower
  • Earlier this spring I was given a mystery bulb from a friend. I dutifully buried it and promptly forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when I was reminded not only of the bulb which was blooming a beautiful crimson flower, but of my lovely friend Charlotte.
  • Cordelia has insisted on wearing a big green crocheted hat in spite of the heat. She looks pretty hip I gotta say.
  • Yesterday, as Elise napped on the back patio in the shade, Cordelia and I played with bubbles, chased and jumped rope (with a long vine). I was so happy to be able to resume a normal level of activity that late pregnancy didn't allow. I hated telling Cordelia that I couldn't do certain things(like see my feet), now we are back to normal and I can just play.
  • Final prep is underway. I begin teaching again next week. Just a night class and an online course so I am still with my girls for 99% of the time and get the luxury of being a working mom/stay at home mom. I am so thankful for that.
berries
  • The Virginia creeper is so beautiful in our backyard. I wish I could let the vines just cover every inch of our house...
  • Eating peach cobbler in the evening. 
  • Snuggling a smiling baby.
What are the little things in your life?


9 comments:

affectioknit said...

So many pretty things...we have Virgina Creeper too...I kinda like it...the Man...not so much...

~Have a lovely day!

Susan Struck said...

One of the little joys in my life is reading your sweet blog each day.

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

aw, i love little girls in hats - so cute! And that flower is beautiful!

wyowolfpack said...

I agree with your mom. Your blog posts are always a breath of fresh air. Thank you for that. PS. We've got a lot of quart sized canning jars if you'd like them. And a hip? cool? rad? canning recipe book if you'd like to borrow it. PPS. My commenter security word is: twongs. Is that like a thong that's so wrong? I digress.

Carmen said...

What a wonderful beautiful list :). It made me smile :)

Kirstens Kitchen said...

Nap time is a blessing...and I have to say baby snuggles are the best.

One of my little things washing the dishes after dinner and watching the sky turn from blue to pink.

Kate said...

I'm so glad you're going to be canning! I'm a canning enthusiast.

Emily said...

I agree with your mom! Thanks for the reminder to look at all the little wonders around me. :)

Stacy said...

My little joys: recent vacation, a home stockpiled with wine, two concerts in the next 2 days, time with friends scheduled, busy-ness at work, and general happiness. Oh and a craft project on-going. Who doesn't love that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...