Thursday, October 18, 2012

Studio

Eric and I are both artists. I also sew, crochet and craft. You'd think that with two creative types that we'd make a studio space a major priority. Well, we haven't really given ourselves a good space to work. The result is that we end up with projects scattered around the house and many projects that wait and wait and wait. Recently it has become abundantly clear that we need to make a space that is just for creating. We have both had a lot of commissions and inspiration and we just cannot have a dozen paintings and prints laid out in the kitchen, waiting for a splash of sauce or 3 year old fingerprints.

We really want to rent a workspace downtown, but decided that it would be in our best interest to wait a year or so while we pay down hospital bills and such. So we started looking around the house and tried to figure out just how we used our space. Finally we zeroed in on the guest room (click here) and realized that we have company 5-7 times a year. The space was good for a studio, but we didn't know what to do with the guest bed when it wasn't in use. Then...on a hunch...I tried stuffing the bed, the WHOLE bed into the large closet space. The bed fit, along with all of our stored artwork. Sheesh that closet is huge.

Next we set to work organizing the space so that it would fit our needs which included: drawing, painting, printmaking, sewing, crocheting, a bit of knitting, jewelry making, and too many random crafts to count. We set up a few major stations and have been settling into the space over the last couple of weeks. I must admit that we have both been in there working each and every day since the space was made. Wooo! We can also turn it back into a guestroom easily so company will still have a space!

studio4

doilies

studio3

mirror and print

studio2

small paintings

quote

studio1

e paintings

girls

needles

Do you have a studio?

9 comments:

Kirstens Kitchen said...

cool! That poodle painting is kinda creepy. HAHA

Susan Struck said...

It looks great!

Maria Rose said...

Kirsten, We call that poodle Susan the Elder...

Maria Rose said...

http://maria-rose.blogspot.com/search?q=susan+the+elder

More on Susan the Elder.

Carmen said...

I don't! But you've made me want one even more :)

affectioknit said...

I don't...but my laundry room is pretty close...that said...I still have projects in every room...

~Have a lovely day!

Sarah Purdy said...

Looks awesome! I gave up my craft room when Sadie came and then lost my office when Ari came. I think our next house will need to include a room of my own.

AKM said...

I spy Susan the Elder...

AKM said...

Ha! I should read the comments before *I* comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...