Saturday, January 19, 2013

But I'm Playing

Several months ago Cordelia gave up nap time. I wasn't quite sure how to proceed. I was incredibly reliant upon those quiet moments. I had an internal struggle about my options. I just didn't know what I should do. Finally I decided that she would have a short period of quiet time. I really agonized about this choice. I am not sure what the concern was, but now I think it is one of the better decisions I have made as a parent.

Each afternoon, I walk her up to her room and let her know it is quiet time and that she can play quietly until I come back. This is something she has come to enjoy. I head downstairs and get some work done while Elise sleeps and I listen to the play sounds that come over the monitor that I still have in Cordelia's room.

She will now ask for a little "alone time" when she wants to play by herself. I love that she is learning a little independence, even if it is a little tough for me to let go at times. I suppose that is what parenthood is all about, incrementally letting go. While Eric and I are trying to find the balance this little lady is growing all on her own.

After breakfast this morning she requested some time alone in her room. We were happy to oblige.

Untitled

Eric and I both looked in on her and she looked up from the floor and said, "I know, it's a mess, but I am playing."

Untitled

She was playing, independently, and I couldn't care less about the mess (she was worried as we were all in there sorting and organizing last night). For those of you that don't have children, independent play is an incredibly valuable skill for a child to acquire.

Once she was done with her play time we worked together to clean up the mess. How quickly she is growing into a sweet and smart girl.

4 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

This is something we've been encouraging Sadie to do, too. I love listening to their independent play dialogue.

Tammie said...

i believe that one of the greatest gifts you can give a child is the gift of teaching them to entertain themselves. its good for them and its good for you!

Stacy said...

Awesome!! She's such a fun kid.

Victoria said...

Invaluable for ALL ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...