Friday, January 18, 2013

An Unexpected Morning

I left the house this morning with the intention of returning in 20 minutes, just a quick preschool drop-off and then home to blog and clean. The morning was off to a rough start as Cordelia was zoned out and log rolled her head into a poopy diaper that Eric was changing on the floor (note: this would never happen if diapers were never changed on the floor we are investigating a protocol change). Anyway, despite the inauspicious start to the day we were out the door in a timely manner. The drive to school was pleasant; peppered with adorable Cordelia chatter like, "Did you know that I love the whole world?"

When we arrived a preschool I was getting the girls from the car to the building when we heard a honk from a horn. I turned and spotted my mother. She had been called off for the day and decided to surprise us. Cordelia was so excited and couldn't wait to show her beloved Teacher Gwen that her Grandma Sue was there.

Once the drop off was complete my mother and I decided to have some coffee and drive around chatting while Elise napped. It was such a treat. Then, when Elise woke up, my mother offered to watch Elise at the church (where my father works) so I could run some errands. I jumped at the offer for a few moments of alone time and went to the local health food store.

Store

I walked up and down each aisle, taking my sweet time. I checked out new products. I chatted with the staff. I smelled all of the lotion. I swear it was like a tiny vacation.

.Store
What? No kids?

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with my girls, but sometimes shopping with those two is like trying to simultaneously juggle chainsaws and cats...it's challenging. I am almost never alone these days and that is perfectly fine, but a few moments to myself is something of a treat.

So, that is why I am posting late. Actually I just got a text from Anne (Hi Anne) who is checking to see if I am OK as my post is late. I promise that this isn't a regular occurrence, but this was just an unexpected morning. How are you?

5 comments:

Sarah and Josh said...

Those quiet moments really are bliss.

Mom said...

It was a happy morning and I thank you for welcoming my interruption. Sorry to your readers who had to wait while I selfishly spent time with my beautiful daughter.

Marie Roxanne said...

By noon my time, nothing was posted yet and I was just wondering if something was amiss. And I realized how much I depend on reading "little things are big" every day. (it's now almost 6:00 pm)
I will be starting a new job on Monday and I will be "late" reading this blog every day...

Carmen said...

What a lovely surprise & treat!!

affectioknit said...

Sounds like a lovely leisurely morning...

~Have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...