Thursday, October 10, 2013

Kindness Bandit: Our Neighbor

The day before yesterday I noticed our neighbors were loading their downed branches (from our recent storm) into their truck. They didn't have much damage and had only a load to take to the drop point, each neighborhood has a few allocated drop points for downed limbs. I looked at our big pile and sighed. We have friends who are willing to help us with them, but the job is big. There were many, many limbs in our front yard. Out back, same story.

Then yesterday I came home from an outing. I prepared lunch for the girls and I as usual. When lunch was over I was getting ready to put Elise down for her nap when I spied our neighbor loading up our branches into his truck! I ran outside and happily asked, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!"

He smiled shyly and said, "Well, I knew you guys didn't have a truck...so I thought I'd help."

I thanked him profusely. He has no idea what a gift that was.

The rest of the afternoon Cordelia and I planned on ways to thank him, finally settling on cookies. We bought a new cookie jar, baked some cookies,wrote a thank you note and delivered them.

thank you cookies

We have more cookies to deliver to our friends that helped us the day after the storm (I am am talking to you Zachary and Dave P.). I cannot express how thankful I am for the kindness that I have experienced as we deal with a small storm.

3 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

What a nice surprise!

Michelle said...

It's so great when we get these reminders that there is still a lot of goodness in this old world. And how cool that you thought of putting the Thank You cookies in a lovely cookie jar!

AKM said...

We just never know who is going to help us in our times of need! Or how. I love that you're teaching the girls to give thanks to others so kindly and creatively.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...