Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Newscast of Legends

So, I finally have a moment to tell you about the biggest thing that happened in 2013. I am talking about the stuff of legends people. LEGENDS! Seriously though, did you feel the Earth shift on its axis as everything settled into a new rhythm? OK, I should probably back up here a bit. Let's see, where shall I begin?

The day started like any other. I awoke to the sounds of girls and dogs and such. I prepared breakfast. I dressed the girls. Eric and I chatted about whatever happened to be on our minds. I remember looking out at the snow and thinking that we were in for another white Christmas.

Around 9am I bundled up: black coat, scarf, mittens, hat, boots. I bid farewell to Eric and the girls, not knowing that I would come back a changed woman. I was off to meet my friend Kate for a coffee and a little chit chat and a gift exchange. 

I arrived at the coffee shop a few minutes early. I placed my order ( hazelnut decaf soy latte- don't you judge me) and chatted with the baristas with whom I am on friendly terms. Then Kate arrived and ordered an americano. I have no idea what that is, but for some reason I recall her order. She and I retreated to the back of the shop and settled into a corner.

Then it happened. NEWSCASTERS SPOTTED. I filled Kate in our our newscaster obsession. She laughed and just talked to the newscasters because she is friends with them. It didn't stop me from being a creeper and taking this photo as they interviewed a customer.

Untitled

Kate called out to them, "You're not interviewing me!"

Her newscaster friend responded, "I won't interview you, but what about her?" This is where her golden news anchor finger shone its radiant light on me.

"YES!" I shouted without hesitation. I had no idea what they were interviewing people for or about, but I was ready! Kate snapped a photo of the momentous event.

Untitled

Turns out it was a slow news day and they were asking people if they are peekers...as in to they sneak a look at presents.  I answered honestly, but in retrospect I wish I would have said, "I'll never tell" as I poked a finger into my imaginary dimple and winked at the camera.

We were out that night and my father was supposed to record it (we don't have cable or tivo, or anything), but he did not seem to understand the importance of this moment and forgot. Weird. Anyway, my mystery newscast aired on Christmas Eve and was swallowed into the mists of time and legend.



2 comments:

affectioknit said...

What fun! ...and that's too bad that we won't get to see it...

~Have a lovely day!

Sarah Purdy said...

I can't believe I missed this! Also, I love your voice in today's post. Quirky and hilarious, just like you really are.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...