Friday, March 7, 2014

How Rude!

This morning there was a light dusting of fresh snow outside. Inside of our home it was a bit chilly. I turned up the heat and then I grabbed a pair of socks and put them on my feet before I went about my morning business of preparing breakfast and packing a lunch for Eric. The girls did their usual thing. Lately this means that they run around like crazy. 

When I walked into the kitchen to prepare some scrambled tofu the girls were pretending to be magical talking kittens. There was a lot of meowing, Elise following her sister's lead. Cordelia told me that she was the type of kitten who could suck her hairs in and look like a human. I was vaguely creeped out.

I filled their glasses with vegetable juice, mine with orange juice because I think vegetable juice tastes like scabs probably taste. I am not willing to test my theory, so a theory it shall remain.

I noticed that things had become a little quiet. Eric was getting ready so I knew they were on my watch. Parenting 101 teaches us all that silence is never golden. Usually this means that something is being painted that shouldn't be painted or that things are being dropped into the toilet bowl. They'd been out of my sight for just a moment so I was hopeful that they hadn't had time to do much damage.

I found them in the next room on their knees, hands folded, eyes closed, praying.
Cordelia led the serious prayer pausing as Elise repeated:

Cordelia: Dear God
Elise: Dee Gah
Cordelia: Please help mom.
Elise: Peas momma

Here my heart swelled as I thought Cordelia was thinking about how hard and exhausting it is to be a mother...

Cordelia: Not to have those socks anymore.
Elise: No socks!
Cordelia: Amen
Elise: ayyyymen


Rude!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, my goodness. I laughed out loud when I got to the punch line of Cordelia's prayer. It was such a touching little scene, big sister leading little sister in a morning prayer...and then! Oh, I loved it!

I also liked Cordelia's description of what kind of cat she is. That girl will surely grow up to be an author, she is so full of ideas!

Sarah Purdy said...

I think this is my most favorite blog post ever!! Love it!

affectioknit said...

I love the idea of the hair sucking kitten though...

...just think how convenient that would be...to just be able to 'blow' and have a nice thick warm fur coat...

~Have a lovely day!

RunwithSticks said...

Ha ha :) SO great. I especially love Elise chiming right in :)

Sarah Spitz said...

This is hilarious! It mad my whole day and had to tell it immediately to my best friend.
Your kids are great!
Love from Germany and the -fatcatconnection-

And "Happy International Women´s Day!"
http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2014/03/international-womens-day.html
Bird

Marie Roxanne said...

But those socks are YOU!
They can't go anywhere but on your feet... LOL

Victoria said...

Oh God! I can just hear them!! Thanks for that!!!!

Emily said...

Well, you do mention the importance of expressing their emotions clearly! ;) But in my opinion, those socks are awesome!

On my way Home... said...

Bah! Love it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...