If you want to give it a try all you need are a few portable supplies. Eric used a watercolor travel pack and I used acrylic. The packs were acquired at a local craft store for about $10 each and contained a pencil, eraser, sharpener, 3 brushes, 10 tubes of paint, and a tray for mixing paint. All we needed to add to that was paper (watercolor paper for him and acrylic paper for me) we used small paper 5x7 inches and then a cup with water (we used hotel cups).

Naturally I had to personalize my box...
Some sketches were pretty elaborate, others a quick five minute rendering. I think, if you give this a try, it is important to remember that they are just sketches--nothing major. The main idea is to capture a mood or a memory.

Sketching in the hotel
Here are the sketches that I made over the course of our trip.
My first sketch was rendered in probably five minutes. We didn't have much time so I just slapped the paint down to get something onto paper.

This is from just off the plaza in Santa Fe, there was a park across the street where the girls could play. I really loved the blue paint with the earthy adobe color.

Also Santa Fe, loved the adobe. Weird how much I miss adobe up north.

Desert plants are so lovely, they are often spindly and earth colored, saving everything up for vibrant blooms.

A very speedy sketch of a home we once lived in...omitting much of its current sad state.
A super-fast sunset sketch

Some crazy desert bloom from Albuquerque.

A bunch of stones in baskets at a Santa Fe market

I watched someone pull this dragonfly from the hotel pool. She blew on it, trying to revive it. Later I went down and snapped a photo and then painted it up in the hotel room.
So there you have it, just another way to personalize your trip and maybe even experience a place in a new way.
4 comments:
Lovely! I didn't realize that the term "sketch" could be used to describe something other than a picture made with pen or pencil. Very cool idea - something that would never occur to me (which is why I don't get paid to make art, evidently!). Glad you're home and not puking!!
What a lovely idea! I also enjoyed the photo of the two of you painting. I thought it was sweet that someone was trying to revive the butterfly.
I just love this! As you know we are BIG advocates of sketching on the go! Sketchbook Tours was born from our desire to have a deeper connection to the places we travel with our students! Caution, watercolor sketching is highly addictive!!
I like the dragonfly one, of course all of your sketching are beautiful (Eric's and yours)
Post a Comment