Monday, June 16, 2014

Vegan Recipes: Cooking Times for Commonly Used Grains

 qunioa

I don't know about you, but I was long afraid to buy whole grains at the store because I had no idea how to cook them properly. How much water should I add? How long do they cook for? So, over the years I have assembled a little cheat sheet for myself and I thought I would share it with you today.

Quinoa
1c quinoa with 2c water
Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Wild Rice
1c of rice with  3c water
Simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Kasha
1c kasha with 2c water
Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally

Amaranth
1c amaranth with 2c water
Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally

Wheat Berries
1c wheat berries with 4 c water
Soak overnight, then simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Hulled Millet
 1c millet with 2.5c water
Simmer for 30-35 minutes

Pearl Barley
 1c barley with 2c water
Simmer for 45 minutes

Amaranth
1 c amaranth with 2c water
Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally

Farro
1c farro with 6c water
Simmer for 35 minutes

Brown Rice
1c brown rice with 2.5c water
Simmer 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally

quinoa



2 comments:

affectioknit said...

what a handy chart...Thanks!

~Have a lovely day!

Marie Roxanne said...

This comes from rooted vegan? I must have missed that one! Saving this post to my fridge!
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...