Saturday, February 7, 2015

Project: Pun Filled Valentine's Day

Cordelia is sent home with a preschool calendar at the beginning of each month and on it is a list of activities and obligations. This month the major event is the Valentine's Day party. Cordelia needs to bring 33 Valentine's for her classmates. I don't know about you, but I just balked at the thought of my daughter bringing home so much candy. I mean even after we take out all of the non-vegan candy there will still be too much. I have a bag up in the cupboard with about 2 pounds of Halloween candy still, candy that will probably be passed out at next Halloween. So I decided to take us out of the candy game. We decided to make Valentine's that included toys over candy. Cordelia said, "If they have candy it will just be poof, gone.  With my Valentine's they will be able to keep them until they die." When you see what she is handing out you will note that they will probably disappear within a couple of weeks, but still the intent was there and should they treasure these Valentine's until they are old men and women...well...ok?

So I went to a party supply store and just wandered the aisle looking for gift bag fillers for birthday parties that I could turn into Valentine puns.  I settled on 12 red clown noses, 12 wind up chomper teeth, and 12 compasses. Each bag cost just a couple of dollars and there were six in a bag. I spent about $12 on the toys and another couple of dollars buying plastic bags. Puns were easy enough to think of and honestly I was able to Google my teeth pun and find an already made template, the others I just used some clip art to accompany the text. Easy!

Here is what I did for the teeth:
First I printed out the pun filled message onto paper, we were out of card stock printer paper--save yourself a step and print onto card stock.

teeth

Elise and I stuffed the teeth into small plastic bags while Cordelia cut the messages and pasted them onto the small squares of card stock that we did have. She then signed her cards and we slipped them into the bags with the gifts and sealed them shut.

 valentine 2015

For the  compasses we repeated the process with our punny message.

compass

valentine 2015

For the clown noses we did the same.

clown nose

valentine 2015

clown nose

The most time consuming part of the project was the signing of the cards. Cordelia completed the process in three sittings over the course of a couple of hours with lunch and play breaks in between.

We ended up with 36, three of which Elise will use for her friends.

5 comments:

Mom said...

You are just so clever!

Sarah Purdy said...

Too cute!

Anne Mason-Jezek said...

Love it!

Pam Brewer said...

Sugar needs to be taken out of the equation. Good job!

Daphne said...

I don't have kids, but I was like, what? Candy? For all the valentines?! When did valentines turn into gift bags? Wow. When I was a kid (a million years ago, in the late 70s/early 80s) they were just cute paper valentines. Maybe you got a pack of candy hearts if you were lucky. Anyway. I love this idea! Silly toys are way more fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...