Sunday, February 8, 2015

Reading: My Books and for the Kids

Today I want to share another post on what I have been reading to the kids and what I have been reading to myself.


One of our family favorites is Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. Have you read the book? The story and illustrations are both very simple and clever. Essentially a boy uses a purple crayon and his imagination to create a world of his own.  Harold takes the reader right out of his home and on an adventure through his creative mind using his one purple crayon. 

We like this book because it illustrates the importance of a creativity, but Harold is also very clever and problem solves his way out of situations. 
________________
___________

I am currently reading two books The Homeschooling Handbook by Lorilee Lippincott and Paris Letters by Janice McLeod. I checked out both books from the local library. Do you use your library? We are at our library at least once a week. We grab books, magazines, music, movies, audio books, and attend a lot of their children's activities.


The Homeschooling Handbook is a really accessible guide for those who are just diving into the world of homeschooling. Generally all of the options and programs available can seem pretty overwhelming and Lippincott takes a direct approach and reminds parents that they have the power to make informed choices; that is often the motivation for homeschooling in the first place. Lippincott shares her own experiences as well as a variety of firsthand experiences by other families. Overall the book has some great ideas to help a beginning family to feel empowered.
_______________
_______
Paris Letters pulled my Francophile heart in with the tag line "One woman's journey from the fast lane to a slow stroll in Paris." The story is an account of a woman who chooses to change the trajectory of her life. She lives and works as an artist in Paris.

Look, this book is not breaking any literary ground, but the theme speaks to my heart. I think so many people in my generation are asking themselves what they want to do with their one life and the answer isn't usually to spend it working on something that we don't feel passionate about. Granted this dream is a luxury that previous generations couldn't afford, what with working to live and all. I think now people assume that we don't want to work, but that isn't the case at all. People of my generation are looking for work that feels important to us. This book speaks to that notion, a woman searching to create the life that she dreams for herself. I can get on board with that idea.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...