Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Vegan Recipe: Weeknight Manacotti


week night manacotti by rootedvegan.com

Last night at around 5pm it hit me. I had forgotten to go to the grocery store. Ugh! We've all been there. Am I right? Anyway, I looked into my barren cupboards and nearly empty refrigerator to see what I might scrounge up. I assumed I would find a selection of condiments, beans and rice. Instead I saw that I had the right stuff to make a family favorite, weeknight manacotti. This meal is quick, easy and versatile---meaning you can tweak it to match your own resources.

1 package of manacotti noodles, cooked to al dente
1 T + 1tsp olive oil
1 package of tou, crumbled
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1c + 1/4 c Daiya cheese (they should really sponsor me by now, good grief)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1c chopped mixed veggies (this is your chance to clean out the fridge. I used zucchini, olives, mushrooms, onion, tomato)
1/2 c veggie crumbles, optional
2 c marinara sauce

1. Cook your noodles. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Meanwhile in a skillet heat 1 T olive oil, add veggies and sautee over medium heat until cooked through. Add marinara and veggie crumbles, if using. Turn heat to low and let simmer.
3. In a mixing bowl crumble the tofu (great job for kids). Add the nutritional yeast, 1tsp olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, 1/4 c Daiya. Fold in with your hands or a spatula until combined.
4. Time to assemble. Spoon the tofu mixture into each noodle and lay in a large, lightly oiled, casserole dish. Once all of the tofu filled noodles are in the dish cover with the sauce mixture. Cover with the remaining vegan cheese.
5. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.

week night manacotti by rootedvegan.com 
 Enjoy!

2 comments:

Deanna Marsh said...

I made this tonight and everyone loved it! Including two non vegans. Thanks for the recipe.

Maria Rose said...

Great!!! Thanks for letting me know, kinda surreal on my end!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...