Monday, March 2, 2015

Project: Affordable Bathroom Floor Upgrade

So the state of our bathroom floor can definitely be filed under first world problems. Yeah, it wasn't very pretty, but it was fine. 

I was bothered that no matter how I cleaned the floor it still looked dirty. I also just didn't love the tiles, they looked like something from a truck stop bathroom. Just blah and dated. I was sick of looking at them.

Even though I would love to do a full bathroom renovation it just isn't in our budget. So I just resigned myself to the unbearable weight of unsightly bathroom floors...let me tell you it was a terrible burden. I don't know how we made it for so long, but by digging deep we found the courage to live seemingly normal lives in spite of our bathroom floors. They haunted my dreams.

Then, last week, I stumbled upon a few different posts about peel and stick tiles I decided that might be a good upgrade until the bathroom renovation fairy visits my bank account. 

I stopped by Menard's and priced the tiles. They ranged from $0.69-$1.50. Our bathroom only needed about forty tiles, this was an upgrade we can afford, plus the tiles are removable (with small effort) if we decide to do a more significant upgrade down the road. I grabbed two boxes of the tiles (they are also sold individually) for a total of about 60 tiles and less than $60 with plenty of leftover tiles for use on a future project (downstairs bathroom) and a little room for error as Eric and I learned how to install.



The process was fairly straightforward. Floors were swept and cleaned. We placed a tile right over the top of a pre-existing tile. Then pushed our next tile up against it, pressing firmly to minimize seams. 



We did discover that we had to pull up the quarter round and now plan to re-paint the quarter round (which we are still putting back into place) for a cleaner look as the old paint was in less than stellar condition.


Eric had a brilliant idea for cutting clean lines in the tiles; he used an old school paper cutter, the kind with a blade arm. He first checked to ensure that the paper cutter was cutting in straight lines. He used a utility knife for the non-uniform lines around the toilet and in a few wonky    corners. We used the paper backing that peeled away from other tiles for tracing paper, to outline those wonky areas and make a template for cutting, as it was about the same and was less wasteful. 

Eric ended up doing most of the detail work as I have a slight tremor in my hand that makes my work a little uneven. So be sure that someone with a steady hand does detail work if you try something like this.

Overall the whole process took about three hours and covered our bathroom and bathroom closet. We are really pleased with the results!


4 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

Looks so much cleaner and brighter! Great job! What a difference.

Allen said...

Looks great. I know someone who has a tile cutter, next time please ask.

Essie Reed said...

I love that you shared this. I have been wanting to do something with our bathroom. It is just starting to not look so good. I have decided to give this a try. Right now, we just can not invest tons of money into a bathroom that only we use and no one else sees. Maybe that's a little strange.

Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

Wilfred Andrews said...

That looks really good. I'm in the process of doing our living room at the moment and we had peel-and-stick laminate. The problem is that the people who laid it did so over the top of carpet which means it has a really unreliable fix. We will probably pull ours up and just use proper laminate. That's expensive mind you.

Wilfred Andrews @ LB Plumbing and Heating

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...