Monday, April 27, 2015

Best Anyway



Thursday night, after a long day with the kids, I did work for the two schools for which I do adjunct teaching. When I was done with that I worked on lesson plans for my Saturday classes. Most Saturdays I teach art to 9 girls by 12:15. Then I started prep for my lectures at a local gallery. I give an art related lecture at a  gallery on the last Saturday of every month. Then I painted in prep for an upcoming show. I repeated the process on Friday night as well. It was a LOT of work.

Saturday morning rolled around and 5 of the 9 girls couldn't make it to class. I taught anyway and I gave it my all, because the four girls who did show up were there to learn and they deserved my very best effort. So I adjusted and it was great.

While I was teaching Eric spent the better part of an hour setting up for my lecture at the gallery. These lectures are donation based, so I am not exactly guaranteed any pay. Thankfully I love art so the hours of advance prep are mostly fun and interesting.

Anyway, after morning lessons were over I prepared a quick lunch for the crew and then it was off to the lecture. Mostly my lectures have pretty small groups, which is perfect for the space, but Saturday there were only two people in attendance. It was a little disappointing for sure. Hours of prep and only two!!! 

I decided that the two people who had taken the time to attend did deserve my best effort, of course! So I gave a really good lecture and they both were interested in the topic. It was great! Sure I would have loved to have more people in attendance, but that is the arts for you. I get it. I expect it. 

Eric and I talked about it and he said it was a lot like shows for musicians. Hours of prep and practice and sometimes there are only a few people in the crowd. Sigh.

Eric and I are working so hard for the arts in this community. It can be a little disheartening when there are no-shows (but sometimes people are busy, or have other plans I do understand).However, I know that there are so many others in our community that are working for the arts as well. Little by little, sometimes two people at a time, the art community is growing. I am so happy to be a small part of that growth. 

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm sure the five little girl from your class and two people who attended the lecture left more excited and with more knowledge to impact not only their own lives, but also the lives of others. So really, you dropped the stone in the water and the ripples will effect countless others. Thanks for playing your part! :)

affectioknit said...

...it's not about the numbers...

~Have a lovely day!

MarieRoxanne said...

I feel your pain Maria Rose and Eric (being a musician and all) I understand how disappointing it must be when you only see a couple of people, but try to think of it this way: It's good practice, and you are going to get better with each presentation. AND the people who came to listen, will of course, speak volumes on how you performed with so few in the audience. I applaud both of you artists and your girls for making art a wonderful and inspiring thing to learn about!

Sarah Purdy said...

I know my girly appreciated your best! Thanks for being so inspiring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...