
First we set the tub on some broken pavers, but we left the drain unplugged and the whole tub is tilted at a slight angle which will allow for excess water to drain easily. I toyed with the idea of painting the sides of the tub, but I really like the aged beauty of the tub as is, so I left it alone.
Next I bought a lot of soil. I bought cheap soil for the bottom layers and the higher levels have good quality potting soil. It took a shocking amount of dirt, purchased over a month. I had read about layering any variety of materials underneath, but found a convincing article that helped me decide to just fill the whole thing. I did put an empty pot over the drain so the soil wouldn't pour out the drain, but the water could move freely.
Finally I added tons of flowers. I chose perennials that will hopefully return year after year. I also chose plants in the low, medium, and high range, with some that will trail over the edges.
It is still very early spring here in Wyoming so I will have to remember to update later this summer when it is really filling out.
2 comments:
Looks awesome! What a cool idea!
As an artist, you can also see the beauty of leaving things as they are. I appreciate old/antique furniture and things like the tub. Good decision!
Post a Comment