Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Fostering Daisy

Last week I received an email from Wyoming Basset Hound Rescue Foundation. The director, Holly, asked if we could foster a bloodhound! My knee-jerk reaction was a OF COURSE, but I am not the only one to be impacted by something that big. There are two small children, two dogs and two cats to consider. We have a full house already! I mentioned it to Eric who is the more rational of us when it comes to animals. He was kind of open to the idea.

So last Friday the girls and I went by the local pound to meet Daisy. She was nearing the end of her fourteen day confinement and was ready to go on Monday.


When the girls and I met her there was no doubt that she was beautiful. I was more concerned with how she would be around kids, dogs, cats---because we have a lot going on in our full house. It was quickly evident that she was passive around the girls (though I would never just assume a strange dog is instantly fine with kids) I was very optimistic. I also watched as another dog was walked past her. She did nothing. She was just very sweet. So Eric ran by on his lunch break and met her.

He later texted me that he felt this was one way that we could make a difference. If you haven't been to a pound recently I suggest that you go, your heart will hurt and I hope it moves you to act in some way. I was very happy to take a dog from the overly full pound and ensure that they don't have to make room---if you get my drift.

It wasn't as easy as that though. First we had to get her her for the rescue. Apparently there have been occasions where backyard breeders will wait overnight in the parking lot to snatch up a dog the moment it becomes available. So I was asked to wait early in the parking lot (the pound has a video camera and will use it to determine who arrived first). I showed up at 6:30 in the morning and the pound didn't open until 10. I reminded myself that it was a very small inconvenience and that doing the right thing is rarely the easiest thing. So I sat in the parking lot of the pound for hours. In that time I did see staff lose a dog in heavy traffic and fail/ not really try to catch it---I scolded the staff. I am sure they appreciated my two cents.

Anyway, Eric dropped the girls off when he had to go to work and the three of us waited. I knew then that we were first to claim Daisy so I was very hopeful. When 10 rolled around we went in and adopted Daisy for Wyoming Basset Hound Rescue Foundation. 

Once we had her in our care I was struck by several things: 1) Holy Smokes! She is huuuuge!!! 2) She smelled exactly ten times worse than you can imagine a dog trapped in a cage for two weeks would smell. 3) Now how are we gonna do this? 4) Long awaited company would be at our home in two hours!!!! 5) This is the right thing to do and doing the right thing is rarely the easiest way to do things.

We made it home. Eric met us for introductions. We let Daisy out of the car and she was so joyful. She kept jumping (she is not much of a jumper at this point) on us, almost hugging us. She was really happy to be on grass, outside, away from the pound. We introduced her to the dogs. The dogs were fine. Bumblebee is old and cantankerous now, so she just wants a little space. Betty is a weirdo, just generally, but she is starting to play a bit with Daisy at this point. 



The real star is Lucy our young cat. She is, I firmly believe, one of the coolest animals ever. She was so smart and handled meeting a new dog like a real pro. We introduced them through a screen door first and when Daisy showed no real interest we eased them into an intro. By the end of the day this was happening.


She met our old cat Ophelia yesterday afternoon. Ophelia very mildly hissed and went to sleep, that was that. 



So we have been settling in, finding a routine. She seems to be house trained. She knows how to sit and play fetch and is super smart. She is learning stay and down and come already. Turns out that today is Daisy's first birthday. She is also a bit sick, probably just from the diet change. Cordelia and Elise bought her birthday gifts. Cordelia proclaimed that it was a tragic blow to have diarrhea on a birthday, but it seems to be no big deal.

Tomorrow Daisy will be spayed and then she will be ready for adoption. People keep teasing us that we won't be able to let her go, but we have been bracing for that from the start. We have told the girls that she is just a guest, like when we have friends stay with us for a bit. I asked a friend, who also fosters animals, how she can let them go. She advised me to ask myself, "Does this animal belong with me?" She doesn't, mostly because I keep telling myself that she is not our dog. So we have been treating this like we are watching an animal for a friend. I think we will be sad to say goodbye, but ultimately we will be happy to see her in a loving forever home.




2 comments:

Stacy said...

I swear dogs know when they've been saved. She was so darn happy you saved her she couldn't help but dance! I'm glad the transition is going okay.

Daphne said...

This made me so happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...