Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Cordelia's Sixth Birthday Review

Yesterday Cordelia turned six. I guess it just doesn't get any easier, each year just seems to remind us how quickly this is all happening. The memory of her birth is still so fresh, it doesn't seem like it was six years ago, but the calendar tells me that it really was that long ago.

We had a fairly mellow birthday because she is having a party on Saturday. We still managed to pack a lot in and make her feel celebrated and special. The big gift was that we finally, after years of begging, let her pierce her ears. After dropping Elise off at preschool she and I headed to the mall for ear piercing. Eric met us there.

She kept telling people she is now allowed to wear long dresses because she is six. Not sure where/why she got that in her head, but OK. Here we are waiting for the ear piercing place to open.

Cordelia eagerly hopped into the ear piercing chair and held the stuffed bear that was handed to her. This is something she has been asking for since she was about four. I didn't really care one way or the other, since it is so very common---seemed kind of inevitable. Eric, my heavily tattooed husband, was worried about her perfect little ears and has been very reluctant to let her pierce them. He decided that he was ready-ish to let her do this as part of her birthday gift.

Although his body language tells me that he wasn't entirely comfortable as he watched her go through the piercing.

She let out a little gasp as the ear was pierced, but it was basically no big deal.

She was mighty proud when it was all over.

She chose tiny sapphire earrings and the store also gave her a stuffed tiger (at a discounted price) which she named Sapphire, her birthstone.

She later requested a trip to a museum for her birthday. I was so happy not to go to Jump Craze and proud that she chose a museum!

She and Elise ran to the museum so eager to check it out. I will file this under parenting win and choose to ignore that she requested Taco Bell (they have some vegan options) for lunch.

Sisters on a covered wagon.

Later my parents joined us for dinner.
Opening presents.

Elise climbing on my father.

My mother and Cordelia.

Sisters wearing new jackets from their grandparents. Elise received a few gifts too. We would have gotten her a little something either way, but Cordelia specifically asked, on her birthday wish list, that Elise also receive a present.

Cordelia and my dad.

Her green cupcakes.


Happy birthday Cordelia!


6 comments:

Daphne said...

What a great post! I remember getting my ears pierced at age 10 -- it was a BIG DEAL and I was so proud. Happy birthday sweet girl!

Sarah Purdy said...

Looks like it was a very good birthday indeed! Happy birthday Cordy! See you on Saturday!

jude buchanan said...

Love love love this post! Makes me remember how badly I wanted my own ears pierced. My mom made me wait until I was ten. Finally when she agreed she took me to this retired school teacher's house where I got them pierced with a big needle and an ice cube. Not sure why she was the "go to lady" for this, but she must have pierced the ears of dozens of girls around my age, in the same way.
Also think it's soo sweet that Cordelia asked that her little sister receive gifts too. How precious?

jude buchanan said...

Love love love this post! Makes me remember how badly I wanted my own ears pierced. My mom made me wait until I was ten. Finally when she agreed she took me to this retired school teacher's house where I got them pierced with a big needle and an ice cube. Not sure why she was the "go to lady" for this, but she must have pierced the ears of dozens of girls around my age, in the same way.
Also think it's soo sweet that Cordelia asked that her little sister receive gifts too. How precious?

Roxanne Veinotte said...

I also remember how my mom told me I was getting my ears pierced at 11 years old.
She bought me a pair of gold studs for my birthday... I was confused because I didn't have pierced ears so I asked her if they were really for me, and she said yes, and I told her I don't have pierced ears to wear them and even showed my mom my ears "see?" And then she had to TELL me I was going to get them pierced! I don't know why I didn't get the clue...

affectioknit said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

~Have a lovely day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...