Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Order and Chaos

I mentioned in this post that I had a few resolutions for the New Year.  I mean I have resolutions for every day, but I like a starting date where you can reflect on progress as you move forward. Well today I am just checking in and sharing with you my progress, because it is my blog and I can do what I want. Basically this blog is like when Jafar  wishes on the lamp for unlimited genie powers...or not...why am I using a Disney reference? Ahh! Next thing you know I am going to get a Winnie the Pooh tattoo (all apologies if you have and love your Pooh tattoo).



Sooo, that tangent happened. Oh well, let's get back to the point of this post shall we?

A few days before the beginning of  the year I outlined some goals---honestly they are goals that I have already been working on for ages with varying degrees of success. I looked at my goals and realized that the one issue that was keeping me from moving to the next level is my own organization. You see prior to having children I could keep track of dates and times and due dates and meeting times and what we needed to buy at the store, and really anything. My brain just had space for that information. Now that I have children that space is filled up with so many little details: brushing teeth, who needs to go to the bathroom (everyone, always) before we leave, what time did they move the science class to, when is Eric's next meeting, what shirt needed to be treated for a stain, did I pay that bill (yes), did they ever send me a bill for the sprinkler blow out (no), when was the last time I bathed the dogs (don't ask, just smell), which kid hates peas this week, and so on and so forth.

Recently my mother told me that she and my father would chuckle when I mentioned how busy Eric and I were in grad school. I look back on that time and laugh. I would roll out of bed around 8 and have three cups of coffee while lounging in my pajamas before heading to one of two classes, work a bit, then home. Sure, we had tons of reading and papers and stuff, but honestly it was just a totally different kind of busy.

Anyway, life is different now and I have a lot that I would like to accomplish in my tiny window of time here on this planet. My friend Amy just posted a list of 23 emotions that people feel but cannot explain...wait here it is:


Hopefully you can read it. Anyway, they all spoke to me, but number 20 is relevant to this post. The frustration of being stuck in just one body that inhabits only one place at a time. I feel like I need to just stuff my life with all of my dreams, dreams for my family, art, life, nature, animals, health, books I want to read, places I want to see. All of those dreams are chaos in my mind and I feel a certain fondness for my chaos, but it is not helping these dreams come to life. That is why I had to bite the bullet and organize my life a bit. Don't worry I have left room for some chaos.

So I can up with this truly revolutionary idea, it is going to blow your mind. Wait for it...

I am using a day planner. What?! I am sorry, have you heard of a day planner (pronounced/deɪ /ˈplæn·ər/)? It is amazing! I can put the stuff that I want to accomplish in a day into one place and see what I need to do to accomplish goals, short and long term. Huh?! Witchcraft.

Anyway, I have been diligently using my planner for nearly two weeks now which is an all time record. Seriously though, I have tried and failed at planners of all type, but this time is different. I have my main goals set out. Daily:sketching, reading, painting, yoga/meditation, home school, work, French lessons on Rosetta, etc. Weekly: animal advocacy, meetings, prep, etc. I also am including efforts for long term goals.

While this is all set out I don't give myself time constraints. I do my work in the time needed. I know you are probably thinking that it would be a luxury to have so much time. It is, but I think people also underestimate how much time a stay-at-home-working-mother has for freedom. I have very little free time most days, but I am squeezing in moments here and there, finding those pockets of time to put to good use. So, here is hoping that I have developed a new habit, because I am feeling really good about the progresses that I have made to reign in my chaos and give myself the gift of a little order.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...