Monday, January 14, 2008

Monster Blog Caribbean Chronicles Chapter 4: The End, The Everglades, The End

We left Grand Cayman and still had another day of ship travel before we made it back to port in Florida. We spent the day wandering around and hanging out with family.

The last night of the cruise we went and saw a magician at the Stardust Theater. The magician was cute, his adorable assistant was also his wife. He made it clear how much he loved her. I am so happy when other people have a love that fits...and that sentiment certainly extends into the world of magic.

After the magic act Eric, my cousin, and I went onto deck twelve (the deck of debauchery) where we had seen a giant chess set earlier. The three of us had planned some cool artsy-fartsy photo shoot, but the wind was ridiculous. So, we ended up having way too much fun instead. The three of us went out for a drink in a piano bar on deck 6 and all talked about the future and wonderful things to come.


The next morning we awoke in Florida. We said goodbye to the cousins, aunt, and uncle. My immediate family and grandparents were going to visit the Everglades since our flight was not scheduled to leave until much later in the day.

We had a German tour guide direct us. She was awesome! She described how in Florida you only need one license plate. She suggested that you could fill the other license plate space with a vanity plate that reads, "I like my kid."

When we got to the Everglades we took an air boat ride. FYI, air boats are loud. We had to stuff toilet paper into our ears. See below for an example.

We saw alligators lounging around like the lazy reptiles they are. We also saw some cool birds. When I extended my arm and whistled to the birds they did not understand my invitation to perch.

The Everglades have a lot of variety in the landscape. There are areas of river like passages.

There are areas that look like grasslands, even though they are marshy. You can see a gator hiding out in the photo below.

There are also areas that look like a lake.


Finally, there are swampy areas, but our camera died while we were there. Sigh.

After the Everglades we headed to the Miami airport. If you have never been to the Miami airport I suggest that you pack a suitcase full of patience and that is all I will say on the matter.

We said goodbye to my grandparents and caught a flight home later in the day. When Eric and I finally made it to our house that night we were exhausted! The cats were overjoyed that we had returned without the dog. We couldn't pick up Bumblebee until the next morning; we got her at 6:30am.

1 comment:

E.K. said...

Well that was fun. I'm glad it's done. Good job on the 4-part chronicle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...