Monday, July 13, 2009

Family History

Eric and I are both historians. I am not sure when it happened, but both of us have become the keepers of the family history. With the impending arrival of our first child we have been giving a lot of thought to her family history. I think it all started over a discussion about a collaborative piece of art we would like to make for her. We finally settled on making her a family tree and things have gotten out of control from that point. We have both been going over our entire family histories. Have you ever done that? It gets out of hand FAST. If that weren't enough we have also decided to scan all of the old family photos that we have. We are afraid that the quality of the photos will continue to degrade, but saving them onto the computer is just another way for us to preserve them. Needless to say this has become quite a project.

So, this morning I find myself wearing archiving gloves and scanning photos. Don't worry I don't look too professional I am wearing a pajama t-shirt that reads I put ketchup on my ketchup.

Here are some of the photos that I have already scanned. Some of them are really straight forward, while others are strange and a little confusing. We're saving them all because we're meticulous like that.

Photobucket
I can't help but wonder what the circumstances were that led to this photo. Were Eric's grandparents having a picnic? Was this a local hangout?

Unknown Man (Wimmer)

This photo is so strange to me. Why was is saved for all of these years, who was this man whose head is obscured?

While looking through the photos I first noticed that Eric's parents had let their family histories intermingle in the photos. I am having difficulty figuring out which side is which as there is very little labeling done on old photos. Then I noticed that my family photos are also interspersed, thankfully they are labeled on the back to avoid confusion,but there is something sort of beautiful about that mixing of family histories. Somehow I can't help but think that it will all make sense to our daughter. Although it will all be well organized by the end of the week, just because.


Photobucket
Then I found this photo, it's my mom. She's 7 months pregnant with me. She could never have known that someday her daughter would be nearly 7 months pregnant with her first daughter, looking at this picture and feeling so connected with everything. I wonder if my daughter will someday continue the cycle?

*PS Has my Mom aged at all? Ding dong she looks the exact same.

28 comments:

Emily said...

I love the photo of your mom. And yes, your daughter will look at pictures of you at 7 months pregnant and ask to tell her "about the day she was born." My girls never get tired of hearing their birth story. And is that a stuffed basset hound in the photo?!

Maria Rose said...

I don't know if it's a basset, that's funny! I guess basset hounds have been haunting me throughout my life.

dutchgirl said...

I love it that you're archiving all the photos. My dh and I are also family historians of a sort. One of the saddest things for me is when the stories behind photos are lost. My husband's grandfather passed away several years ago and only recently we found an old photo album of his. Not even his grandmother can say who some of the people in that album are. It's made us much more focused on preserving what history we can.

affectioknit said...

I so so love old photos...

Cate said...

oh i love all of these, maria rose. i love the one of the obscured man. personally, i would get it printed large, framed, and put in my living room.

but your mom, in that state of pregnancy-oh so wonderful. just look at her expression.

thank you for stopping by my blog today. so excited for you-expecting a new baby girl is the sweetest thing on earth (only equal to expecting an baby boy)

Annie said...

I love old photos, I have a huge collection of our old family photos (and I've also scanned some of them). I also have our genealogy papers but haven't done any research myself. I find it very interesting though. :-)

Elizabeth said...

that photo of your mom is precious!
and no, she doesn't look a day older. ;)

and i loved reading about your breakfast picnic. :) you and eric make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is a large stuffed basset hound. My Grandma Rose had given me some money and I decided I needed to buy something special for our baby. For some reason I felt compelled to buy that large stuffed dog. I didn't know then that Grandma Rose had a love for bassets or that my "baby" would one day wish a real basset into her life. Weird. Sadly, the stuffed basset is no longer with us. It turns out that it was hard on him to be ridden by kids. His name was Bogart... may he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and in the background of the picture is a painting of Grandma Rose.

Mom

Imaginary Outdoors said...

Such a lovely photo of your mother!

Robin said...

She does look the same!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a wonderful project to work on - I can only imagine how time consuming it would be - in a good way! Your Mum's reflection on the Bassett hound in the comments was lovely - Bogart was the perfect name!

PaisleyJade said...

I love your blog... and I too love old photos and the history behind them.

Nikki Cardigan said...

It seems a perfect time to look back into your families' histories as you are in the midst of creating such an important part of your own history.

I love the image I have of you in your ketchup PJs!

Christina Lowry said...

My sister went through all the photos and got all the birth, death and marriage certificates she could trace for our family and drew up our family tree. It's great to know I have that for my baby. My Grandfather, who passed away when I was 5, wrote a "History of the Bells" for my brother, and wrote down family stories that had been passed down through time. I'm so glad he did, or we wouldn't have them now.

PS. Love the pregnacy photo of your Mum. My Mum wouldn't let anyone take photos of her when she was pregnant with us (identical twins) because she was huge. I would love to have had a picture. :)

Val said...

My kids LOVE old photos. There are an open book to HOURS on entertainment and stories, they enjoy them more than current photos of themselves often. Treasure them!!!!!

Anonymous said...

...And I should have mentioned that the painting of Grandma Rose was done by Grandma Grace... even more special.

Mom

Dooder City said...

You guys are going to be the coolest parents in the world. I can't believe you guys are making a family tree album before the little baby breathes her/his first breath....so adorable...

L. said...

It's such a great idea to scan old family photos onto a computer. Make sure you put them on a disc!:)

Polly Farthing said...

That picture of your mum is so lovely- she looks so serene. Basset's seen to stick to your family or something - love yours by the way. Those ears!

Polly x

Random Things and Our Family Life said...

HI! THank you for the recent comment on my blog. What a swert post. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Happy Summer!!
~Jen

Carol said...

Wow, those are wonderful pictures!!! I am really into family history stuff too. Its so fascinating. My mom's family is from the Mayflower, and my dad's father came over from Sicily through Ellis Island. Very different histories, but I love them both.

the dwellers said...

What a great project you have going!
Brent is the historian for his side of the family and I am trying to capture as much of the modern day details as I can.

That photo of your mom is beautiful!

Michael said...

Your Mom is beautiful! Hey..have you considered "recreating" this photo with you..baby...and your bumblebee?

Stacy said...

You really do look so much like your mother!

I love old photos too....

Anonymous said...

I think that man was attacked by an over-zealous hair eating possum! I love the idea of scanning all of your family photos and you have inspired me to add it to my to do list. Before my grandpa passed away, he recorded stories about his life. Now all of the kids and grandkids have copies and get to hear his voice.

Kate said...

That potential picnic place looks so much like Soda Dam in NM. Where is it?

Maria Rose said...

Kate, it is somewhere in New York.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...