Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Feeling My Age

Yesterday my youngest brother got a car. He's been saving his money for many years in anticipation of this time in his life. Tomorrow is his birthday and he will get his driver's license. Do you remember how amazing it felt to get your license? How liberating it was? Well yesterday was his big day. Sam stopped by with our parents(he's still only got the learner's permit) to show us his new car.

We took the official tour of his car. His first wheels. We were so excited for him, even though he remained cool about the whole thing. There was just one feature to his car that left him puzzled, the tape deck. He had never used a tape player. Oh me oh my, Eric and I were shocked. Sure, we knew he was a child that knew CDs and ipods, but really? He had never used a tape player?

Sam looking at tapes 7/21/09

So we broke out a box of a few mixed tapes we had saved from years gone by. We were looking through the tapes with Sam, explaining to him just how important a mixed tape once was. The art form that went into a mixed tape. You had to choose the right mix of songs, creating a flow from beginning to end. You had to make sure there wasn't dead air or that the tape wouldn't run out mid song. Once the tape itself was perfected it was time to decorate the tape case. Hours could be spent drawing and collaging the perfect tape case.

Tapes 7/21/09

Sam is pretty hip. He likes our old school taste, it's gone out of style and is on it's way back in. So Sam is game to try out this retro trend. Still, he didn't even know how to fit the tape into the tape case! Eric had to take him out to his new car and give him a quick tutorial on how to use a tape player.

Later when I was talking about this with my parents my mom mentioned that Sam once asked her how to use a rotary phone! It's so strange how the world has been quietly changing on us. I think about the big changes, but those little changes are often escaping my attention. I couldn't help but think about our daughter. How different her world is than the one in which I was born.
She will never know a world that:
1)Doesn't have cell phones.
2)Doesn't have the Internet.
3)Uses tapes and records (well, we do, but it will be a mere novelty to her).
Can you think of anything else? There are tons of examples I'm sure, but suddenly I am drawing a blank. Mostly because I am thinking that I really want a rotary phone.

18 comments:

E.K. said...

I was going to say, "She'll never see The Cure in concert." but then I realized as long as there is a breathe in his body Robert Smith will be touring and claiming it's a farewell tour.

Oh, she'll never know morning cartoons like Voltron, Rainbow Brite, She-ra or He-Man because all that ever comes on is lame-o Raven, Hanna Montana, The Suite Life, etc. Don't get me started, don't even get me started.

Stacy said...

Have you ever looked at the Mindset list (http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/)? They update every year for the entering class of college students.

..... Carmen said...

I secretly hunt for old rotary phones. I would love to own one. Nate and I had a 2002 VW Beetle that didn't have a CD player.. just a cassette player. I had some fancy contraption that would convert it over to enable an Ipod. Perhaps a good birthday gift for Sam? They are super cheap. It's amazing though how our world has changed isn't it? I remember our first computer, our first big screen (32") and my Dad's first cell phone (plugged into the car and was as big as a home phone). Craziness. I find it amazing my 2 year old pretends to type on the computer....

..... Carmen said...

Oh and a note to Eric. Strawberry short cake is on a comeback. There is hope for Rainbow Brite, the Fraggles and for Ernie & Bert :) Oh and the Smurfs too...

Josiane said...

It must have been quite funny to see how clueless your brother was in front of a tape player! Loved your description of a mixed tape!

Your daughter will never know a world in which you have to sit in front of the TV at a specific time if you want to watch a TV show, or else you have to count on your friends to let you know what happened.
I should be able to come up with something that's not TV related (I don't even watch it), but I'm drawing a blank too. Or I'm thinking of things that are culturally specific, so they wouldn't mean anything to you. I have a feeling, though, that I'll keep on thinking about this...

Emily said...

Ahhh, the mixed tape. So many hours of my life spent making and listening to them. It truly was an artform.

I remember my freshman year in college, the big thing everyone was talking about was this new idea called "email". I was so excited to actually get my own email address that year. And my first cell phone that same year too.

the dwellers said...

Brent used to drive a 77 Ford truck. When our nephew first rode in it, he asked what the spinny thing was on the door. He had never seen a car with manual crank windows.

Tell Eric he can look up classic TV and Cartoons on Netflix... I agree that today's fare is often disappointing. My kids love the Smurfs, the Lone Ranger, and Rainbow Brite. :)

Robin said...

Mixed tapes were the best!

affectioknit said...

such a funny story - I still have a tape deck in my car - but I never use it anymore - I'll have to break out some old tapes...

AKM said...

Microwaves! I was about 5 when we got our first one, a huge honkin' box of a thing. Today, who doesn't have one?

When I was a baby way back in '75, my mom wrote in my baby book about these strange fancy new pocket calculators. :-)

I liked Josiane's mention of TV shows being ONLY on at specific times. Also, remember waiting all year, once a year, to watch The Wizard of Oz, Grease, or The Sound of Music? Classic.

this wheel's on fire said...

Ah first wheels :)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is freaked out by that commercial haha

Christina Lowry said...

I remember my newphew playing with an SLR camera and taking photos. He then wanted us to show him how to play back the images, like on a digital camera! He thought we were pulling his leg when we told him he would have to wait until the film got developed! So she will probably never have to wait until the film gets developed to see the pics.
:)

heartswholefoods said...

Confession: I don't know how to use a rotary phone either :P But I think they are so cool!

PaisleyJade said...

That is so funny! So weird to think that our kids will never really know about tapes etc! I loved the Cure growing up... and mixed tapes. Your post brought back so many memories!!!

sophie said...

So funny!! I remember the complete awe that was felt by our whole family when we bought a CD player! Those compact discs were treated like precious jewels. Eva knows how to turn the TV on, put it on the DVD channel, put in a Wiggles disc and sit back to enjoy the experience, it's wild!!

Polly Farthing said...

I'll let you know when the Shellac Sisters are coming to Wyoming! Hope you're well

Polly x

Val said...

Oh the differences our children will have in the world today! She'll never know a world without INSTANT contact to EVERYONE....for good and bad.

Anonymous said...

Lol! I read your post, then found this: http://lisnews.org/100_things_your_kids_may_never_know_about

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...