Thursday, July 30, 2009

Life TO DO list

I have been thinking a lot about the things that I want to do with my life. I have an ongoing Life TO DO list. Not just the daily to do list, which currently includes researching new insurance carriers, making a shopping list for our upcoming trip to the city, grooming, doing some pre-natal yoga and taking Miss Bumblebee for a walk. I am talking about things like long term goals, places to see, things to do, etc.

Here are a few things on my Life To Do List:

Photobucket
I want to go to Madagascar and have a look around. I guess they're in a state of civil unrest, so this may have to wait a bit. Admittedly I love lemurs and I think that maybe, just maybe, if I visit Madagascar the lemurs will make me an honorary princess (I should note that I feel similarly about manatees and the platypus). Also, the landscape, from what I have seen, is really beautiful and unlike anywhere else on the planet.

Give up the use of nail polish. Technically I have managed this feat for about a year now, but it's an ongoing battle. I had a series of bad encounters with nail polish that colored my nails yellow (gross) and it took forever to grow it out. Plus I am the kind of gal who paints her nails and they chip or smudge within a few moments. Now I am on the war path and I think I might win.

Finish my thesis. Ha ha. I have no choice it's got to get done within the next year, but I'd rather finish sooner than later. I really am nearly done. I do have some valid reasons for procrastinating, but they are quickly losing their ground.

Start an animal rescue. I want, in my heart of hearts, to dedicate my life to this.

Become a better seamstress. I can sew a little bit, but I want to be good. I want to be able to design my own clothes and make them so that they fit perfectly. I feel like that would be a great outlet for my creativity.

Get my PhD. Although I definitely need more of a break from school before I dive back in.

Buy a home in Montana. Eventually this must happen.

I want to be a mother. Many people joke that I've always been a mother, just in need of some kids. Let's put that to the test shall we?

OK, this one is weird, but I've always wanted to whittle wood. Not a lot of whittling mind you, just maybe one thing. I remember being a little girl and cutting at a stick with a kitchen knife. You know, now that I write it out it sounds much less interesting. Let's keep this one as an alternative.

Learn Spanish and Russian and any other language that strikes my fancy.

I want to take the Grand Tour. After my art education it feels entirely necessary. I mean what else am I going to use an MA in art history for?

Learn how to swim. I can swim a bit, but really it's sad to watch. I dog paddle and tread water. I also invent my own techniques. Don't even get me started on my diving, no seriously it's really bad and my family has it on video...they showed it to Eric before he married me. Anyway, I'd like to be able to do the basics.


What's on your list?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my list... teach my daughter to sew and swim.
Mom

Carol said...

Great list! Travel, travel, travel is on mine!

jumbleberryjam said...

How wonderful! Here are a few: learn to play the cello, get my Masters/PhD, travel to at least 60 more countries, run another marathon, live in Europe, raise kind, loving children who think critically and live peacefully, compassionately & happily for the rest of their lives.

Stacy said...

I'd like to cruise the Panama Canal. I'd like to skydive. I'd like be somewhat skilled at pottery. I'd like to go to Australia. I'd like to go back to Italy. I'd like to go to Asia and South America. I think about a PhD (or EdD). Hmm, perhaps I should do a list on my own blog!

Tammie said...

i love your list.
i live in the land of the manatees and love them too. i used to see them a lot as a kid when i lived closer to the water. they are rather slow and dopey though so i dont know if it would be much of an honor to be their princess.

beautifulladybird said...

Maria,

What a great post! I hope you are doing well. On my list is to become a great seamstress as well!!!! I think it is such a craft. I can't wait to see you post some of the things you make!

affectioknit said...

That's a pretty impressive 'bucket list'...

..... Carmen said...

That's a great list!

I would love to visit Thailand, I've always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon, and maybe one day, go back to school and do my degree in Art Therapy.

AKM said...

Ha! Your mom's answer cracked me up. She's darling.

Travel is SO on my list! I've barely been out of the U.S. (Nogales, Mexico), and there are still so many U.S. states I need to see, let alone overseas!

I used to say I wanted to go into the Peace Corps, but I don't know if I could be away from my Jackie-Cat for 3 years. We shall see...

Inspired by Eat, Pray, Love, I took a short Italian class this summer and I miss it already. I'd love to be able to say I can count to ten in ten languages...right now it's five.

My biggest goal is to start grad school for my MSW next year. I'm still waiting to see if I got into grad school, then I have to get into the program! I'm stressing...

What else...get a tattoo. Go to Europe and Australia. Cruise the Caribbean. Rid myself of my GAD and finally find inner peace and contentment. I don't know yet about a husband or baby...maybe finding that inner peace and contentment should come first.

Great idea! You've given me some food for thought.

BloomingAlmond said...

Oh gosh.... You look so good :) it's been a while since the last i was here... And you should really add to that list of yours: "Have a glass of Porto wine in Portugal and (after learning) swim in Algarve beaches :D

Elizabeth said...

I like your list.
I laughed about the whittling. :)
I want to go to Australia and Scotland. And just live. And enjoy life. I want to finish our house and own it. We are working on becoming debt free so we can just relax. :)
Have a happy weekend!

Val said...

I'll see you up there in Montana, it is on my short list of places to be. So it's a bit far from NH but that's ok....you never know!

Robin said...

There are so many things on my list, it would take me an hour to write it all down!

But, one is to reconnect (actually in person) my dear friend Bob! You know who that is!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...