Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pregnancy Photo and the Term Baby Mama?

Yesterday evening Eric and I were discussing the fact that we need to get a few good pregnancy photos for the archives, now that I finally look pregnant. We have been struggling with the pregnancy photo issue. We really want to take some pictures that are unique and different. Pregnancy photos are tough, because they are pretty formulaic by nature. The whole point of them is to focus the viewers attention on the belly and there are a few tried and true methods for doing such a thing. I must note that we didn't want to do anything too pretentious or artsy (because we can certainly do that), just simple and joyful.

Thankfully Eric is a great photographer and he worked well within the established cannon of pregnancy photography. Here are the results of his efforts.

Photobucket
Exhibit A) Here we have the classic belly gaze. I think this type of photo is just a requirement for any pregnant lady.

Photobucket
Exhibit B) Next we have the belly grasp and smile. This style of pregnancy photography is all about showing how happy the woman is to be pregnant in spite of all of the discomforts and it's true pregnancy is really amazing.

Photobucket
Exhibit C) The two handed belly grasp. Yep, we pulled out the big guns here. You can only mean business with the two handed belly grasp.

Bonus Story that is probably only funny to Eric and I:
Yesterday Eric and I were out running errands and decided to stop and have a cup of coffee. On our way to the coffee shop we were joking around and Eric said that he was going to order a coffee for his baby mama. I knew he wouldn't say such a thing because it's just kind of a dumb thing to say. Anyway, I triple dog dared him to do it.

We went into the coffee shop, which had a fair amount of customers all standing within ear shot. I gave Eric the look in order to taunt him about the dare, not expecting him to do it. When the coffee guy came over in his skinny jeans with perfectly coiffed, slightly messy hair and just the right amount of practiced distance in his eyes he asked what we wanted. Eric responded by saying," I'll have a house coffee and a decaf for my baby mama here." He also pointed to my pregnant belly for emphasis. The coffee guy was utterly unimpressed, but the gal behind us was amused. Ahh the power of a triple dare, they're never really that funny but they always hold power.

18 comments:

Hello Lindello said...

funny! he should just keep calling you that whenever you go there now.

Cute pictures. The first is my favorite. I like all the woods and green in the background.

Jane said...

You look GREAT!! And please take lots and lots of cheezy pregnancy photos. Who cares!! Your baby will appreciate them when she's older.

I wish I had more photos of my Mum!!

Maria Rose said...

Thanks! I agree that the photos are important. I love the few photos I have of my own mother while she was pregnant with me.

Tammie said...

i love the photos. in my opinion, pregnancy photos can be kinda irritating but i love these. they are so interesting. i like how they are more about you and not just the belly. what youre wearing, the backgrounds, everything in the photo seems to show your style, which makes it so much more personal than the typical belly shot.

now...you know you must start referring to Eric as your "baby daddy." actually, it would be even better if you started singing the original song by B Rock and the Bizz. (google it if you dont know the song im referring to. soooo worth it!)

Stacy said...

Love the photos... you looks so wonderful! And, I simply adore the story. Eric really should keep calling you that when you visit the coffee shop. ;-)

Chrissy said...

aww how sweet 'baby mama'....

Widge said...

very gorgeous photos. funny about the dare, that kind of thing is so fun and gives you things to laugh about for years :)

Sarah Kramer said...

Whoops. I was logged in as someone else. That Jane post was me. :)

..... Carmen said...

That makes me laugh. Your belly photos are beautiful :)

Nikki Cardigan said...

Take lots and lots and lots of photos. You can't ever have enough photos of being pregnant.

And I suspected Eric was cool.... now I KNOW he is. 10 points to him for completing your "baby mama" triple dog dare!

Our Green Nest said...

Hilarious! You look beautiful!

Christina Lowry said...

You look gorgeous and you are going to cherish these photos and so will your daughter.

At least you kow the tripple dog dare works. Good to know for when those scary nappies appeare. You can dare him to change them...

:)

Tania said...

I have to take my hat off to a guy who comes through on a Baby Mama dare at the local cafe! Lovely pics...

Meg Wolff said...

This is really funny, you guys are great!

AKM said...

The pics are perfect. Thank you so much for sharing this momentous time in your life with us, your readers.

Love the "baby mama" story! I giggled out loud here at work. You and Eric are a hoot and a holler! You're my heroes...you inspire me and I try to approach life with the verve and wonder that you two seem to express.

Hugs from St. Louis,
Angela

Robin said...

I miss your dares!

shellyfish said...

I still can't believe how tiny your belly is! I think that was what mine looked like at 5 months.

Leah said...

Beautiful pictures of you and your belly. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...