Friday, September 18, 2009

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Photobucket

Good morning. It's 8ish here in WY. For Eric it is the weekend and he's sleeping in. I am trying to let him get any length of sleep while he still can. I've been up and productive for a while already. I always feel my most productive in the mornings, ready to take on the day. I am one of those people who is wide awake and happy in the morning. I close the bedroom door and let my husband enjoy the quiet morning in way I never could, sleeping in.

I have poured myself some OJ and taken care of my morning duties like feeding and taking Bumblebee out to...well you can guess.

Photobucket

Then I wandered around just sort of randomly picking things up and putting them down, looking for a purpose. Suddenly it struck me that we hadn't had pancakes in a small eternity. I decided it was high time to get on it. I use the recipe from our friend Sarah Kramer's cookbook How it All Vegan which, incidentally just was re-released for it's 10th anniversary edition. Do you have the book? I'm just saying...

Photobucket

As I was making the pancakes I began to wonder if there is a difference between pancakes and flapjacks? Is it just a regional thing? What do you call them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Photobucket

Well, Eric just got up I think maybe the smell of pancakes pulled him from his reverie. He has wandered in and started his cup of coffee and is ready to eat.

18 comments:

E.K. said...

I say pancakes, but this brings up an interesting question I have. What's the difference between a shindig and a ho down? Or a jamboree for that matter?

heather said...

pancakes!

pixiepine said...

I call them pancakes, and I just made these from HIAV this week! I posted them on my blog because they were so fluffy and delicious, even with wheat flour in place of white. Yum!

affectioknit said...

We definitely say pancakes - but I'm from down south - I'm not sure I've actually ever heard them called flapjacks by anyone...

On my way Home... said...

We call them pancakes (ND)

..... Carmen said...

We have pancakes with blueberries in them at least once a week :)

So, there you have it. I say pancakes. I have heard my Dad call them Flapjacks though. Are flapjacks thinner than pancakes perhaps? More like a crepe?

Emily said...

It's pancakes at our house Flapjacks sound very pioneer to me. Like something you'd eat around a chuck wagon. Either way--they are yummy.

Daphne said...

I call them pancakes, unless I'm camping, and then they are flapjacks. (I found your lovely blog from Tammie's blog... just de-lurking to say hi!). You are so cheerful and I love it.

Stacy said...

Pancakes. Although I'm more of a french toast girl myself. ;-) Oh, maybe that will be dinner tonight!

the dwellers said...

Pancakes... and they are the best with oatmeal and brown sugar :)

The Grandpa said...

I have from time to time called them pancakes and from time to time flapjacks.

Beth said...

flapjacks pancakes same thing. Its just a regional thing. In the south they call them flapjacks. I think southern people really take pride in their own vocabulary. Same with shin dig or ho down..same thing. In North Carolina you would say shin dig, in Kentucky you would say ho down. For the first 9 years of my life I said over there or down yawnder instead of "it is over there" moving to New Mexico from North Carolina was a trip to say the least. I combined a southern accent with a California Mexican slang type accent which resulted in a European accent. I get all the time "where are you from"

dutchgirl said...

Hmm. I have always called them pancakes. I'm from Michigan. I have also lived in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Arizona and Colorado and I haven't ever heard flapjacks used in conversation. Then again, I'm not sure how often it would've come up! :)

Dooder City said...

Hey! I just wanted to send you good vibes from NYC. I know the little bundle of joy is coming soon and you guys are going to rock so much ass in parenting for your daughter. mmm pancakes. I think I call them flapjacks to sound 'country' that's right, I want to sound 'country'

Sarah said...

Pancakes for sure. To me flapjacks are a kind of cake made of oats and golden syrup and very sweet indeed!

Those pancakes look yummy :)

Sarah said...

Pancakes for sure. To me flapjacks are a kind of cake made of oats and golden syrup and very sweet indeed!

Those pancakes look yummy :)

AKM said...

In St. Louis, they're pancakes (a la Uncle Bill's Pancake House) and when I grew up in Tennessee, they were pancakes as well. In any case, they're yummy! I recently found a vegan banana pancake recipe that I really should try soon.

sophie said...

We call them pancakes, I thought everyone in the USA called them flapjacks...I am so naive! As for Eric's question I think a shindig is for sure urban and a ho down and a jamboree are country/rural?? Maybe?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...