Friday, November 20, 2009

Gettin' Rid of Stuff

Eric and I are living in a small house, very small. When we first moved to Wyoming we were having toruble finding a place that allowed our pets and we were under a serious time crunch to find a place to live. So we moved into our tiny little rental house. We have always planned to move to a larger space and we still do. I think we'll be moving within the next couple of months.

To fit ourselves into this smaller space we had to seriously downsize. Even now we are still a little crowded into our house. Nothing makes me want to downsize like being confronted with all of our stuff. There's no place to hide it here in this house. So Eric and I are methodically going through all of our posessions and asking these questions:
  • Do we need it?
  • Do we use it?
  • Do we really love it?
If we can't answer yes to any of these questions than the item has to go. It just makes sense. Who wants a house full of stuff that they only kind of like and never use? Anyway, my only hold out has been books. I love books. I love to read. I have a ridiculous amount of books. The thing is, I know where there is a building that holds tons of books that I can read any time...the library. So, last night I bit the bullet and downsized my book collection. The only books I have kept are ones that have special meaning to me, not just the words, but that specific book.

Photobucket

Let me tell you, I cleared up so much space. I can't believe how much better it feels to just let go! I seriously purged a mountain of books.

Photobucket

Now when we move we can feel even better about our space, rather than filling it up. Plus our current space feels lighter already. What have you done to simplify your space lately?

10 comments:

affectioknit said...

Good for you! Libraries are the best!

Just call me Lucy said...

It feels so good to get rid of stuff! Like giving your soul some room to breathe. Sometimes it's hard to remember that our memories live inside of us, not in the things we own.

eLiZaBeTh said...

I am right there with you, Maria! I am going through all stuff pre-marriage and if I don't *love* it, it is out. I have to let go of the "maybe I'll make it into____" and out it goes. Next up, baby/toddler/kid stuff. Do you need anything?

pixiepine said...

I like to clean out and earn money for my stuff. Books go for sale on Half.com, clothes to Buffalo Exchange, and random stuff on Ebay. Otherwise, I keep a steady stream of donations going to the Goodwill.

the dwellers said...

We just cleared out oodles of kid's clothes... between growth spurts and changing weather, that is almost a full time management job!

I admire your efforts to simplify your own things!

Meg Wolff said...

Clear clutter is so cathartic. I hired a friend that is really organized to help me since I've been on crutches for awhile. It was the best way I could spend my money. Less is better. For me anyway. I've even gotten rid of books, that was really hard, but I've limited space.

Pam Brewer said...

I have a hard time getting rid of things that spark happy memories and the older I get the more my memory needs sparking! Could that be why old people tend to be hoarders?

Victoria said...

Cleaning must be in the air! I just purged stuff from a corner that had papers from 2007!! I found a rebate check from Verizon! Can you believe it, after two years, they gave me credit for the amount..score one for letting go of stuff!!

sophie said...

You're a woman after my own heart! I live with horders and sometimes I can literally feel suffocated in my own home because there is so much stuff! We live in a small house too so the stuff feels like it is taking on a life of it's own and growing before my eyes. I have a giveaway bag on the go all the time so i can sneak in stuff to let go of when I can!!

Anonymous said...

Dad wondered what happened to his copy of THE MAN WHO MISTOOK HIS WIFE FOR A HAT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...