Wednesday, November 18, 2009

White Sands

Have you ever been to or heard of White Sands National Park? I have. Actually I lived right next to it for many years. White Sands is down in New Mexico. It's a desert of pure white sand. When I first moved to NM as a teen girl I was completely impressed by the seemingly endless desert of white dunes, they looked like snow covered hills. For northerners the roads, made of firmly packed sand looked like ice covered streets.

Photobucket

When you get out there the sand is stunning. If you are there during the day in the summer you soon realize that it is hot as Hades and it's pretty much time to skeedadle.

Photobucket

The real time to visit the park is at sunset. The temperature is just right and New Mexico sunsets are truly amazing.

*Bonus bit-o-info- When Eric and I were dating we would watch the sunset every Sunday as we ate a new type of fruit*

Photobucket
The absolute best time to visit is during a full moon. The park is open late on full moon nights because the white sand reflects the light of the moon and it is just too beautiful. Locals love to run at full speed and jump off the top of the dunes. It's really fun. Some people will lie and say that it's cool to sled there, but it really isn't.

Anyway, if you are ever bored and want to see something amazing, it's really worth the effort!

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

The photos are extraordinary.... You've got an eye Maria....love the textures of the sand u captured as well as the people...

Gen said...

Looks beautiful!

Our Green Nest said...

Looks GORGEOUS!!! I want to go there to that place :).

affectioknit said...

Wow - I want to go there!

Victoria said...

Ahhh...the White Sands...a child's paradise. Sean loved going, we used to fly kites and on full moon nights we played with a glow-in-the-dark Frisbee! I am certain it is one of the reasons I am still here...

mrs boo radley said...

Awesome! I can't believe that I lived in a state bordering NM without ever going there! Tsk tsk.
We'll have to visit someday. And eat fruit while watching the sunset.

Stacy said...

It's mentioned in the movie Space Camp (how vintage of me!) as a good place to land the space shuttle. ;-)

..... Carmen said...

Beautiful! I had no idea. Brought up memories for me of a shifting sand dune that is in the middle of the Serengeti. Will add that to my list of places to go see one day - it looks stunning!

Emerald Anaya said...

I miss White Sands! Lisa just sent me a small bag of the white sand for my birthday!! Also I am going to visit in December since she is paying for half! Beautiful serene photos!!
-Constance

Karlene Kamelle said...

What do you mean its not cool to sled there, it is totally awesome! You never enjoyed that?


That was a fun trip, I can't believe that was my sister's first time there.

Maria Rose said...

Karlene, I didn't love sledding because the sleds just got stuck in the sand. I hear it works better when you wax the sleds, but who has time to do that?

Robin said...

I remember when you guys took me there... I can still see that sunset and feel the wind on my face. That was such an amazing few hours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...