Sunday, December 13, 2009

Grandma Rose

In yesterday's post I mentioned that we went to my Great Grandmother's house. We just call her Grandma Rose. Her house is as much a part of this family as I am. She's been living in it for my entire life. All of her family has measured their height on the wall of her house, seeing how they measure up with cousins and second cousins. She has the same furniture, the same red carpet and black couch. The pictures are all in their particular places and they have been there for decades. We've all played in the basement and in the park across the street and many have since taken their children to do the same.

Photobucket

Then there is the woman herself. She is quiet and beautiful and her eyes, well look at them they are amazing. I have always had a fascination with this woman. Always wanted to know more about her life. Recently I've gotten to see pictures from when she was younger, her life as a mother. There is just something about her. I can't really put my finger on it, maybe it's her experience, her wisdom, her beauty. I am just not sure what it is, but after I am away from her I can't help but feel that I was in the presence of someone truly amazing. I am so happy to be a piece of her legacy, to have her name in mine and to pass it on to my daughter.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

See, it's posts like this that make me simply adore you. You have such respect and admiration. And, I have NO doubts that Grandma Rose is amazing. Those eyes tell a story, even in a photo. I can only imagine the stories she could share.

Linda said...

She's incredibly beautiful! How old is she?

Chrissy said...

I bet she resonates in you, mine does, even after she has been gone...I know she's with me...

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about Grandma Rose was her gift of hospitality. At our family gatherings there were often extra people there. As a child I always thought they were also relatives but later found out that many were people she met who simply needed a family, a meal, a safe place to sleep. They found themselves as her honored guest. Some were a part of her life for a short while and some for a lifetime. To her I am sure this is just a way of living out her Christian faith. She has given us each a rich legacy.

Court said...

oh how precious. treasure your time with her. mine passed away this spring and i wish upon everything i had more time with her.

Emily said...

She really has beautiful blue eyes! How lovely that she is still in your life.

Annie said...

That's beautiful. My grandmother (I've written quite a bit about her in my blog's nostalgy section) was sometimes a difficult person to live with but there are only two things that I regret now that she's gone: a) that I didn't call her more often b) that I didn't write down all her stories and memories. Now she's gone forever but she will always stay in my heart.

AKM said...

Yes, treasure this time with her. Just a few years ago I still had both grandmothers and 2 great-grandmothers, and now I have but one grandmother. I miss the others every day, and how lucky was I to have known them.

Robin said...

What a beautiful way to honor her!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...