Monday, January 4, 2010

Project

I have been busy at work on my first quilting project. With a little guidance from my mother I am nearing completion. The front is quilted and the back has applique fabric polka dots. I have been sneaking in bits of time while Cordelia is napping, taking any moment to sew a few stitches. I am really happy with the results so far. It has been so long since I took on such a huge project.

Photobucket

I did learn to sew in junior high school. I had a home economics course where I learned how to set a table, how to cook a few things and I also learned the basics of sewing. I made a duffel bag and a teddy bear in that class. I also learned some basics from my mother. She knows her way around the sewing machine; she even made my wedding dress!

Photobucket

Since junior high I have used my sewing skills for only the most basic projects. My skills sat in the recesses of my mind, gathering dust for many years. Now with a more flexible schedule and a head full of ideas I am starting anew.

Can you sew? If you can, where did you learn?

9 comments:

elizabeth said...

yes i can!
i learned some things from my mom.
then in college i worked in the costume shop for a semester - i learned SO MUCH there! we were making costumes for Robin Hood - so i used all sorts of fabrics and machines - it was so cool!
some things i've taught myself - my embroidery has really been just me figuring it out.
and i get lots of fun inspiration out here in blog-land!

i'm interested to see your finished quilt! it looks fun! :)

..... Carmen said...

What a tease! I thought for sure we were going to see the quilt ;) I too took a home economics course in Junior High School where we made dolls, etc. and also a food course where we learned to cook. My Mom has sewn since I was a babe though and I learned mostly from her - it's where I run to anyways when I need help with a project!

Jenny said...

I started sewing this past summer! I have been teaching myself, through online tutorials. I love it! I have yet to tackle a quilt though...good for you! Who makes that train and trestle bridge fabric? My 2 year old would looooooove it.

jenniferyarbrough@hotmail.com

Chrissy said...

LOL I agree w/Carmen... so are ya gonna make a quilt for Cordelia? I bet u can...
I remember Home Econ. my first project they had us make a gym bag which we had to embroider our name on.

affectioknit said...

My mom taught me to sew - of course starting with very simple things when I was about 7 or 8...

Stacy said...

I love sewing! I think my ability is a combination of my mom and home ec.

Tom Bailey said...

Yeah, I know how to sew a little - my mom and grandmother taught me when I was a kid... I have not done it in years. I looked at this and thought... do people still do that? I remember my mom and the women of the family buying tons and tons and tons of patterns. I wanted to learn how to sew so I could "sew up my own wounds when I got stabbed with a bayonette" or so I could sew a camo tent so I could hide so the nazis would not find me.

Best regards,
Tom Bailey

sophie said...

Yes i can! And i love, love, love it! I am self taught, my mu was an avid sewer so i used to watch her and i really believe that things just permeate by observing. I am trying to up my skills now by doing some more challenging projects.

Emily said...

Unfortunately, I do not know how to sew. This is especially sad because both my mom and grandmother are/were excellent seamstresses. Maybe it's not too late to learn....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...