Thursday, January 28, 2010

What is Weird?

For much of my life I have been known as the weird girl. At times I have hated this, particularly in junior high. Who knew it was weird to wear your father's 1970s farm clothes to school? Or that it was weird to hang out with your piano teacher and her cat? I would spend many hours wishing that people could see my inner charms, ha ha. Doesn't everyone do that in junior high?

What's weird?

Other times I reveled in it, particularly in high school. Who knew it was weird to wear your father's 1970s farm clothes to school!?! Or that it was weird to strap a lawn flamingo on your back pack!?! I loved being different and put a great deal of effort into it. I loved when the popular girls would secretly tell me that they loved my style or envied my sense of freedom. Which of course didn't exist, I was in high school for heaven's sake.

Any way that you slice it I have always felt just a bit different. As I have grown into an adult I have given it much less thought. I generally don't care what is or isn't weird. I think most people conclude that there is really no normal. I hadn't given it much thought, that is, until my uncle came for a visit a couple of weeks ago. He looked around the house, his eye pausing on our framed picture of Susan the Elder and passing over artwork and the things that make our home ours. He was kind, of course, but it was clear that he thinks I'm a bit odd. That's fine with me, but I began to wonder, once again, just what it is that makes me weird or not weird?

I asked Eric about it and he almost laughingly agreed that I am indeed weird. Well, who can say? Are you weird? What makes you weird?

PSI am happy to let my freak flag fly!

11 comments:

Emily said...

You are not weird. You are creative, kind, funny and beautiful. And of course you are unique: everyone is in their own way. I think it's great that you are comfortable in your own skin!

And everyone goes through an awkward junior high phase. Mine was painful. I could write several blog posts about it. Huh. Maybe I will.....

Sarah Kramer said...

My niece said to me once "Auntie, did you know that everyone thinks you're weird. Like, not weird weird but super weird?"

I said "So?"

And she gave me this funny look like a light bulb went off in her head ... I am so hoping that what I witnessed the moment she realized it was ok to be different, unique and to forge your own path. :)

Gypsy said...

And just so you know, your Dad's farm clothes that you wore were actually already hand-me-downs to him...they originally were Grandpa George's! Cool, huh?

PaisleyJade said...

Haha - I was slightly weird at school too... and at home.

affectioknit said...

You're not weird - just unique - I'm definitley unique too - the knitting vegan is just not all that common up here in the northern midwest...

Stacy said...

I think weird can be a compliment. It means you live outside the box a little. That's awesome!!

Daphne said...

Oh, weird girls. I was/am one too, and very proud of it. But I've never been able to quite figure out what that means. But apparently it still fits. :) Hurray for weird girls!

Annie said...

I've been weird or different all my life. I was never the popular girl, I was the geek. But once one of the popular girls told me that she admired my modesty and I was really surprised. My friends were "special" too and luckily I found a husband who is as weird as me. :-)

Proud to be a weirdo!

Cat said...

I missed this post....
I LOVE that picture of the poodle it is so ridiculous ir is amazing!!!!

you asked if I am weird....but I am not sure what that is...
Okay I will ask my 16 year old son...he says yes!!! LOL I love that!

Nikki Cardigan said...

Weird is good. Different is great. Being yourself is magic. But I do wonder if it takes some living to understand, accept and embrace this...??

eLiZaBeTh said...

I am weird one too...only I have just recently begun to re-embrace it. I remember being in 1st grade and looking around my class & thinking "I don't want to be like any of these kids." Then of course, I did & now I am glad that I am not. Hasn't been the easiest way, but it sure is more interesting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...