Friday, January 15, 2010

Winter River Walk

OK, so I know it's only technically been winter for a few weeks, but it has felt wintery since at early October. I am saying we're about halfway through our 09/10 winter season. With that said, the first half of winter is always kind of fun. We seal ourselves up keeping warm and snugly in our homes, but it's now at that point where I am getting eager for the next season. Yesterday was a little break from the oppressive cold we've been experiencing of late. The thermometer rose above freezing and we decided that we could bundle up Cordelia and spend some time outside. We decided to walk down by the river.

Photobucket
Bumblebee took a break to pose. She was absolutely out of her mind with joy. Lately it's been so cold that she isn't able to be outside for more than just a few minutes at a time...sad for a dog who always gets a daily walk.


Snow and river
The river was starting to loosen up and it wasn't entirely frozen as it has been for the past few weeks.

Cordelia and I
We dressed Cordelia up in her little giraffe suit and listened to her gurgle and coo as we strolled along. On a side note the giraffe suit was a gift from my mom...the woman has a thing for giraffes. She hasn't yet had an opportunity to see Cordelia in the suit and I think she may just explode because it's so adorable. Speaking of giraffes (I think I am officially off on a tangent now) Cordelia has a toy giraffe, another gift from my mother, and when we were playing with it I tried to make a giraffe sound, but alas I don't know what sound a giraffe makes...so I invented a giraffe call. I will just let you imagine how cool that is.

OK, back to our winter walk.

Ducks
The ducks were hanging out on the edge of the ice, a few of the wimpy ducks hopped into the water when they spotted us, but the rest seemed to say, "Yeah right that's freaky cold." So they just hung out on the ice. Once again I was reminded how much I wish that ducks were giant and that I could ride on their backs.


Sky
We ended up back at the car just in time. I hadn't brought gloves and my hands were on the brink of becoming non-functional. Bumblebee gleefully hopped back in the car, getting the seat nice and dirty as we buckled her in. Cordelia blinked sweetly and we were off. I am getting really excited for warmer weather to come and by warmer I mean anything above freezing at this point.

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

It's been unseasonably warm here too - causing a bit of melting that freezes back to ice - snow is so much better for driving than ice - oh well - I'll still take the warmer weather!

Annie said...

You already have spring there!

Emily said...

When I saw your hands in that picture I thought, "I bet her hands are freezing!"

I'm sure it was great to get outside for a bit. And obviously Bumblebee enjoyed herself too. And maybe one day you can ride on the back of a giant duck...Haha!

..... Carmen said...

Looks like a lovely day for a walk - the temps here have been spring like as well. That wonderful middle ground between winter and spring where things are still crisp but pleasant :)

sophie said...

Amazing photos Maria, beautiful! Wait till Cordelia is a little older and ask her what sound a giraffe makes and see what she says! It's funny because they have no idea and make something up which is always soooo cute!

Gypsy said...

I can't wait to hear the sound!

Stacy said...

I love ducks. I think it would be fun if they were big enough to ride too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...