Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yesterday Afternoon

Yesterday afternoon I was just settling down for a nap along with a sleepy little girl. The phone rang and she opened her eyes and smiled, nap over. I was half expecting the call so it wasn't a big deal. My mother, grandmother, uncle and aunt were going to stop by to see Cordelia. My Uncle Mike and Aunt Pat had missed us when we visited last month and wanted to meet our little lady. I said that they should come on over, but then I looked around the house...baby toys were strewn about in a way that I had sworn (pre-baby) would NEVER happen in my home, a pile of half folded laundry lay in the middle of the room, a pile of half opened mail sat on the table, Bumblebee had pulled several of her toys out and that doesn't even include the kitchen. I asked my mom to make it 30 minutes before they arrived. The smiley girl and I rushed around the house getting things in order. I'm not a fanatic about keeping a neat house, but the place was pretty much a work in progress, everything halfway done.

Photobucket

Soon enough I had things in order and even had a few moments to freshen up. I sat down on the couch with my little girl and texted my mother that all was ready. A moment later I had Cordelia playing and giggling when...urrrp...she spit up all down the front of her shirt and pants, mid giggle. I scooped her up and went about the changing of her clothes. I was in a rush to get her changed when I looked down at her, she started gurgling and laughing hysterically. Oh yeah, it hit me. I don't care if my house is neat or if my baby is perfectly clean because she is so happy. So, we slowed down and played, enjoying the moment between mother and daughter. She was dressed and ready by the time they arrived, no need for the frantic pace I had set.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

When Sean was a baby, I called him, "my little Guru", as he was continually reminding me of the joy of being in the moment and the essence of pure love. Kisses V.

Jenny said...

Never fails! It's either the spit up of the explosive poop!

I have an award for you over at my blog! Come on by!

Stacy said...

What an important realization!

Jane said...

Love it ... being "in the moment" is where it's at. ;)

45+ and Aspiring said...

Thank goodness you had a while to get all that practice appreciating the little things before she arrived!

Elizabeth said...

look at her fuzzy hair!!!!! i love it!

i'll be posting about intentional parenting at some point tomorrow - you might like to check it out.

but i know the feeling of lots of half-done projects and wanting them out of the line of vision of guests who stop by . . . glad you got your house and yourself and C all freshened up!

Emily said...

I love true lightbulb moments like that. You won't remember what your house looked like yesterday, but you will remember your smiling baby girl!

Annie said...

Good thinking. A messy house is more fun to the kids. Lots of places to play hide and seek.

But I go nuts if I have to live in a mess all the time. That's why I try to keep some kind of order.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...