Wednesday, June 23, 2010

On Traditions

leaves in pond

Tradition has been a big part of my life. I feel as though, in many ways, tradition is where my family home is. We moved a lot growing up and there was never a specific place that felt like it was home, no real permanent location. Tradition was really the glue that strung everything-- locations, times, family, etc.---all together. We have the tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve, going out for Chinese before Christmas service...not really sure why that one began. On birthdays we would all gather on my parent's bed first thing in the morning and open gifts, artfully wrapped in plastic bags.

All of these types of things have little details, tiny "rules" that become almost sacred. For instance I always hang this red finger weaving at Christmas, wrapping something as though it were a candy cane.

Anyway, Eric and I were recently talking about different traditions. We are a family now and it's our time to start our own little history as a family unit, things that we do which will always be sacred to Cordelia, that she will carry on into her adulthood. Of course we will continue many family traditions, but we also want to start a few newbies.

I am tempted to have 4am flapjacks on the third Tuesday in March as a tradition. I would really love to come up with some more ummm meaningful traditions, centered around holidays or birthdays.

Do you have traditions for your family? Any that are particularly wonderful? Maybe we could share?

5 comments:

Hello Lindello said...

I love traditions too. Ben and I always talk about how important it is to start new ones once we start a family. We will have more normal ones like making a big xmas meal together, but we also want some fun unusual ones as well. Maybe we'll have to jump in Lake Superior on our birthdays :)

Chrissy said...

When we had our first child we decided to spend Xmas day at our house instead of making the caravan to his parents, my parents... For one thing dragging what feels like the whole house to grandma's was not exactly exciting and as u know most babes have a hard time sleeping in houses that aren't theirs... Xmas morning was more relaxed and quiet... and now that they are older, well its just me and the kids and they are definitely quiet....
My husband loved Descanso Gardens and they have a tea house w/a red bridge.. Every year he would take the girls up there and have them pose..So we have a succession of photos from that same spot...

nevertravelled said...

My partner and I have started a tradition of opening new pj's on christmas eve. I'm liking that one a lot.

Stacy said...

My mom and I had a tradition of sundaes for dinner when my dad was away... just once during a trip.

My extended family used to get together every Christmas Eve. They changed it to summer a couple of years ago so it could be outside but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Have fun coming up with traditions!

..... Carmen said...

I have a personal tradition since Grace turned one of writing a letter to her on each of her birthdays. I'll do the same for Aidan. I have safely tucked them away and will give them to her when the time seems right - maybe her 16th birthday or her wedding day? Other things we do is whoever the special occasion is for gets to pick the meals all day long. So for Grace's birthday she had blueberry pancakes for breakfast and for Father's Day Nate wanted Taco's for dinner. It's making their special day all about them. I'd like to make a special tradition around New Years, but haven't figured out quite what yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...