Friday, January 21, 2011

Class is in Session

Well, I am back to teaching this semester. Last night I had my first night back after the winter break. Going in this time I felt a lot more confident than I did with my first class. I went in a bit early to make some copies and planned to have enough time to comfortably settle in.

Class books

Well, I had on some boots (Eric calls it my equestrian look) and when I stepped out the door I had to grab the handrail to prevent myself from a full face plant--I have a startling gift for amazing wipe-outs. I had to do a quick run inside to adjust my wardrobe and then I was back out the door with plenty of time.

I got to the school, unlocked the classroom door for a few waiting students and headed off to make some copies.I walked into the mail/copy room and walked straight to the copy machine and it was all jammed, someone had just left it (BOO!). Thankfully I am good at fixing those confounded machines and I got it all printed before class started.

I ran into the classroom, slightly frazzled, but mostly in tact. My students all looked up at me expectantly and I just dove in. I have a mixed bag of students, a few talkers, your garden variety class. I was just happy when a few of them snorted appreciatively at my bad art history jokes.

Laser poiner

When I let them out a few came up to ask questions or to say how excited they were for the semester I breathed a sigh of relief. Who knew that I would feel so comfortable as a teacher?!Oh, and in case you are wondering I am definitely an absent minded professor!

4 comments:

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

Good luck with the teaching. I enjoyed reading this. I teach art to 11-18 year olds and absolutely love it!
Kathryn

Gypsy said...

I knew.


Mom

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Sounds like a fun class! Keep us posted on how it goes, and be careful on that ice! I often forget how icy it is when I first walk out the door too.

sophie said...

sounds fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...