Friday, February 4, 2011

Project: Yoga Mat Bag

Last week I went to the open house for my new yoga studio and I took Cordelia with me. I don't really know any of my classmates, but I thought this might be an opportunity for me to get to know them. I'm not shy, so I figured I'd just dive in. When I arrived it was a little more awkward than I'd anticipated. The new studio was lovely, but set up for yoga, not conversation. Most people were paired off and deep in conversation so I just kind of teetered on the periphery. I ended up hanging out with my yoga instructor's 4 year old daughter who was obsessed with Cordelia...so no real friendship opportunities, but what can you do?

Cordelia and I were making our move to exit the new studio when I ran into my yoga instructor. We chatted for a bit and I happened to mention Wyoming Rose (see link below we've got loads of new stuff) and one thing led to another...she is interested in selling yoga mat bags made by Wyoming Rose.

I told her I'd need a couple of weeks to work up a design. She seemed really excited about it all! So, yesterday afternoon I started my first effort. Cordelia entertained herself (more or less) as I worked. Here is what I came up with.

Entertaining herself

Yoga Mat Bag 3

Yoga Mat Bag1

Yoga Mat Bag 2

I think I will tweak the design a bit, putting a satiny fabric inside to make the tacky mat slide in more easily. Perhaps I will add a pocket as well, but overall I am happy with the design.

In Use

13 comments:

Helena said...

That's nice. I started yoga too, for the first time.

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

So cute! I bet the people that practice in that new yoga studio you mentioned will love it! I have a mat bag I've been using for years that I love, it's similar in shape but it does have a pocket.

Ash said...

I would carry my mat in one of these! Too CUTE!

..... Carmen said...

It looks great :) I have a bag here that also has a pocket on the outside for a water bottle. An idea to incorporate?

Stacy said...

Looks great!! I think adding a pocket would make it just about perfect. Yay you!

singlemama said...

I like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

the mountain fox said...

I woud be VERY proud to carry around my yoga mat with that. It's lovely!

sara said...

love your choice of fabric! once you start carrying your mat in it, i bet everyone in class will want one.

Emily said...

You are so creative! I couldn't just whip one of those up in one day. Oh who am I kidding, I couldn't whip one up in one year! Nice job! :)

Robin said...

Awesome!

Clare said...

I teach yoga and I would love to by a Wyoming Rose Yoga Mat Bag! Make sure you put a little pocket on there for keys (or even a water bottle?)-and I can't wait to see what you come up with!! I love orange, by the way(;

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

That is really nice... I would love one! The mis-matchy patterns are perfect x

Momma CupKate said...

Makes me want to take up yoga!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...