Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Obsessed

Sometime last year my friend mentioned that her son (who is Cordelia's age) had a special blanket and a special toy. I thought to myself that it was a bit strange that Cordelia didn't really have a special something. Sure she has some toys that are more favored--she likes to drag her pillow pet "Bug" around and she has a few stuffed animals that we see more than others, but she doesn't really obsess about them. Out of sight out of mind. Well, that's how it was until recently when she began an obsession in earnest. Over a year ago my mother grabbed a fuzzy blue coat off the clearance rack. She gave it to me and I put it in the closet because a) it was spring and b) I couldn't believe my tiny baby would ever be big enough to wear it. Sometime this winter she began noticing the blue coat. She wondered where it was even when it was out of sight. From there it's been a slippery slope into madness. She now insists on wearing the "BOOOOCOAT" at all times. While she was on the potty chair this morning, still not fully wake she whispered "booocoat". She cries when we leave home without it. She falls alseep clutching this coat.
IMG_4634 Blue coat IMG_4631 Blue coat IMG_4632 Blue coat over pajamas
So I am just riding the wave, as I type this she brought me her blue coat to put on (I had wrangled it off of her in order to change her clothes). The blue coat is fine, but man I really don't love pairing it with her cute dresses...plus it's a little raggedy looking at this point. My mother said that my brother Ben had an obsession with her silky pajamas...so I guess it could be worse.

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

Scout never had a 'blankie' or a favorite toy really and he never took a pacifier either...but I remember my sister's youngest was obsessed with his blankie so much so that Karen couldn't even wash it...so she bought another one 'just like it' and you know what...he wouldn't touch that one...so funny...

Emily said...

She must associate feeling comfortable and warm and safe with "BooooCoat". It will be interesting if she wants to wear it during the warm summer months?! Or maybe then she'll just carry it around and sleep with it? You will know it is really an obsession when it is difficult to try to sneak it away to wash it. :)

Robin said...

Too cute! It's a good color on her anyway... ;)

Tahra said...

Id love to be able to post a shot of my baby blankie here, who BTW, is about to turn 32. I still sleep with it every night and often wonder how lost id feel without it....my mom once tried to pull a switcheroo on me and I still have that untouched, un-felt blankie stashed away in my closet. Even at 3, I could smell a fake a mile away! I have kept it in case (heaven forbid) anything happens to the OB, but hopefully will never have to resort to it. 30 years of feeling the edges has given it a certain texture that just can't be replicated....lest someone hand in their 30-year-old fluffy friend as a trade. I hope for your sake that Cordelia eventually picks something else to covet for the rest of her life :)

Lindsay@thesimplefamilyproject said...

The question will be what to do once she outgrows the booocoat. :)

Too cute.

Leslie said...

My cousin's daughter is attached to a coat, too! She lives in Phoenix and insists on wearing it regardless of the temperature... I'm sending you an article I read a few weeks ago on why kids do that and what it means to them.

Momma CupKate said...

I'm so enchanted

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...