Friday, May 13, 2011

Who Knew?

***Disclaimer:I am writing this post knowing full well that I may someday come to regret it so please don't hold me to this post for all time.

Once upon a time when Eric and I were first married we had lots of ideas about marriage, how things should be split exactly evenly. We strove to break gender barriers and show everyone else out there how it should be done (I am sure everyone appreciated that). Mostly we did quite well with shared responsibilities, but there was one area that neither of us cared to do-- let alone share. I know you are probably thinking some chore that involves animal clean-up, but no, it was....DOING THE DISHES.

The dreaded chore that never ended.

I hated doing dishes so completely that I would often think of ways to use as few dishes as possible when cooking. My food processor sat silently in the cupboard because I had deemed it un-washable (too many parts).There would be times (finals week) when we would literally use every clean dish we had before doing the dishes. Man that came with consequences. We went on like that for the first 4 years of marriage.

Then came the glorious day in 2005 when we moved into our first apartment with a dishwasher. For us it was as though a flock of doves riding on radiant beams of glowing light had carried the dishwasher straight from the heavens and placed it gingerly in the kitchen of our apartment. After that we had the good fortune of only renting places with dishwashers. All of those memories of crusty mountains of dishes (I may be exaggerating I don't want you to think we're filthy) were lost to the sands of time, or so we thought.

bubbles in sink

When we moved into our first home last month we noticed one big void, no dishwasher. I felt a tide of terror swelling in my gut. "Oh no," I thought." We simply can't have this!" I assumed that we would immediately install a dishwasher and move on with our lives, but something happened along the way...

I discovered that I don't mind doing dishes, in fact I kind of like it. There is something about the warm water, the quiet moment to myself, the view out the window. I am not really sure what it is, but I am happy for it. I don't know if this feeling is permanent or just a bump in the road, but for now it is a welcomed sentiment. Don't hold me to it, please.

How do you feel about doing the dishes?

14 comments:

Momma CupKate said...

I despise it with all of my heart. Despise. I have yet to gain your grace about this chore. Alas.

E.K. said...

Well at least one of us likes doing the dishes...ha.

Tahra said...

Oooh, you have a double-basin deeeeep sink. Those are nice to do dishes in.
And somehow, though I've never had a dishwasher other than myself, I think id miss the dishes if that ever changed. I'm feelin' ya !

AKM said...

I know what you mean! I tend to look forward to it with a sense of dread, but as I'm doing it, it becomes a very quiet, contemplative activity. I get lost in my thoughts, plans, and prayers, and before I know it, it's done! Ta-da!

Iyannah B said...

Dishes will be the death of me. I hate them! I'm seriously contemplating paying my mom to do dishes for me after I bake -__- do.not.judge. lol

Daphne said...

I lived without a dishwasher for many many apartment-dwelling years, and while I really don't mind doing the dishes, I have to say that having a dishwasher is AWESOME and I love it, especially when I have guests for dinner. I could go back to not having one, but I wouldn't like it very much.

Susan S said...

Is this an appropriate time to say, "I told you so"? Plus, your fingernails will always be clean... maybe split and cracked, but clean!

Victoria said...

I have been without a dishwasher for 17 years. I have a lovely view out my kitchen window, made lovelier this year by the addition of bird feeders and a fountain. It is sheer joy to stand, wash, and watch. The only time I really wish I had one is when I have a dinner party...can you imagine washing up after a somewhat formal party for eight?!!! Fortunately Cope and I share this chore on a daily basis so it seems minor. The chore I really avoid is emptying the dryer...ugh. I washed, dried and folded clothes as a girl for a family of seven...that and making lunches..and I am running in the opposite direction! Did you know Cope is an extreme ironer??!! I am truly blessed!

Elizabeth said...

yeah - i like doing the dishes, too. i do have a dishwasher, and it's really nice for when we've had company or i do a lot of baking or for those days when there just isn't time to wash a whole pile of dishes, but most days i wash most dishes by hand and enjoy it. :)

i would say that if/when miss c has a little sister or brother, that would be a lovely time for a dishwasher to appear in your kitchen, so you'd have a choice. ;)

rainblissed said...

Oh doing dishes is the pits! Unless you have a tiny video player sitting just above & to the right of your sink (safely out of electrocution's reach). Movies, audio books and huge pictures windows certainly help ease the pain. Still...it's a pain.

Carmen said...

Maybe it has to do with the year 2011 - lol. I hated doing dishes too, but have found the same enjoyment you describe this year. A chance to be quiet & still, gaze out the window, and bonus is Grace likes to help me, so I get to chitter chatter with her as well.

Emily said...

Oh man...I do love my dishwasher. I remember the lack of dishwasher in my college apartment. The four of us would do rock, paper, scissors to see who would wash and who would dry.

singlemama said...

I love doing the dishes! I use my dishwasher once a month. maybe less... :-)

ps: i've just read all the post I had missed in the past few days. I'm glad to see your new place is getting ready.

Jennifer said...

When my husband and I got married, I quickly made a deal with my husband that HE would do dished if I did the laundry (because he is incapable of that chore- and is the first to admit it)! We also bought our first house this winter and went from a dishwasher dwelling to a non dishwasher dwelling, with a tiny tiny kitchen. I was scared, but as it turns out the kitchen is so tiny we don't have room to pile dishes, also I can't logically find a place to install a dishwasher. Our house forces us (or the husband really) to wash dishes or else there is no room to set anything down! I enjoy the forced cleanliness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...