Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos (Plus bonus photo of Cordelia)

burrito

I have this habit of pulling recipes out of magazines with the hopes of veganizing them or using them for inspiration. I have no idea where I pulled this recipe idea from, but I have changed it enough that I doubt it matters...I can't even express to you how delicious this turned out. You've gotta try it! For real.

Eric enjoying
The real question is...was Eric drinking from the pink sippy cup?

Ingredients
  • 2Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 big sweet potato, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch pieces)
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 red onion (cube half and cut the other half into thin slices, keep separate)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 bunch of spinach, stems removed-leaves chopped
  • 6 flour tortillas
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 lime (use the other half for something else)
  • 2 Tbs. vegan sour cream
  • 1 small head of romaine lettuce, chopped into strips
Directions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato and onion, cook for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent and the sweet potato begins to brown. Add the water. Cook over medium high heat until the water cooks out and sweet potato is tender (10-15 minutes), add more water if you need. Add the beans and chili powder, stir. Add the spinach. Cook until the spinach begins to wilt---remove from heat.

Next, lay out the 6 tortillas, evenly divide the sliced avocado and lay in the center of each tortilla. Do the same with the sweet potato and bean mixture. Wrap the tortillas tightly.

Wipe out your skillet and add a splash of olive oil. Heat your skillet over medium high heat. Place each burrito, seam side down, and heat until golden (about 2 min), flip and do it to the other side.

----While you toast the tortillas grab a bowl and whisk the juice form the 1/2 lime with 2 Tbs. vegan sour cream. Add the lettuce and thinly sliced onion, toss. Set the burritos on your plate. Place the salad alongside. Enjoy!

burrito 2
________________________________________________________
OK so this bonus photo is for my Grandma Carol. She reads my blog every day and loves to see photos of Cordelia. Here is a picture of my girl in her winter clothes. She insisted on wearing them and kept saying, "I'm a winter girl."

Cordelia in winter

8 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUM! Those look delicious...I might just do that with Butternut squash instead of potato...

...we had a little bit of snow last night mixed with rain...and so it begins...

Kate said...

Pretty sure that's one of my favourite "winter child" pictures.

Keia said...

Those burritos look delicious! I love the combination of black beans and sweet potatoes. :) That photo of cordelia is priceless. why is it that when kids and babies bundle up in bulky winter gear it is so adorable, but when grown ups do it we just look ridiculous?

Susan said...

She's really an all-season girl but that is an adorable photo.

Emily said...

I was just making a weekly menu and needed some inspiration-- these on on the list now! :) Yum.

Kirsten said...

Burritos are my go to meal! I love sweet potato.
I can't you are getting ready for snow! We still have at least a month :P
Cordelia is rad.

singlemama said...

i like your recipe.
and I love the bonus photo
:-)

VeganFling said...

This recipe was great! Thanks for posting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...