Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Bark

Yesterday I spent most of the day with my family, but I did sneak off for a couple of hours to complete some holiday food/gift prep. I decided to make my own version of chocolate bark it was super easy and quite tasty as well.

If you want to make your own you can simply follow these directions:
  • Microwave safe bowl for chocolate melting
  • Spatula
  • A small container, I used an 8 x 8 baking dish, but you just need something of a comparable size.
  • 8 oz vegan semi-sweet 60%-70% chocolate (I found this with surprising ease)
  • Wax or parchment paper
  • Toppings: I used pecans and cranberries but you could do so many things...nuts, peppermints, sea salt, pretzels, etc. You are only limited by things that go well with chocolate.

Directions
First, prepare your baking dish. Put wax or parchment paper on the bottom and up over the sides, double layer if necessary (see my pic, you'll want some overhang to grab onto). Next, melt the chocolate according to the directions on the packages and then stir it up. Pour the chocolate into the dish, using your spatula to get it all out of the bowl. Make sure that the chocolate is spread in an even layer that is about 1/4 inch thick. While the chocolate is still liquid-y add your toppings, just letting them settle into the soft chocolate.

settling inI tapped the container on the counter a few times to ensure that the chocolate settled evenly. Put the whole thing into the fridge and let it cool for a bit, the chocolate will harden. Do something else to distract yourself from pulling it out too soon.

cookiesI made vegan chocolate chip cookies while I waited. These are gifts people, I'm not just a crazy chocolate freak.

pull out of containerOnce the chocolate has cooled and hardened you can take it from the fridge. Next, use the overhand of the wax or parchment paper to lift the whole thing from the baking dish.

Choco faceBreak off any super thin pieces that may have dried on the side. Cordelia was more than willing to help with those bits...along with cookie dough.

broken barkBreak the chocolate into chunks, you can choose the size; I went for a size that was a few bites. Wrap it up and gift away.


3 comments:

Roxanne said...

From the look of Cordelia's face, it's yummy!

Victoria said...

What a great idea to use cranberries, makes it look so festive! Yum

Veggie Tales said...

Yum, chocolate bark is so good. I've made a version before with a graham cracker bottom and a caramel middle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...